stock headunit + aftermarket?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by conduit, Jan 31, 2004.

1. conduit

conduit sup

My family bought a new car, grand prix se, but it doesnt have a cd player, so i was thinking of adding my cd player in there, but also keeping the stock headunit with the cassette player. Is it possible to keep the stock and have an aftermarket one just for cds?

2. 04

04 Guest

Why not get a cd changer?

3. conduit

conduit sup

Because i bought a cd player for the old car, but the car got crashed, so now im stuck with a cd player, so i want to add it in the new car

4. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

you could buy a t-splitter which would allow you to easily, such as the ones made for cars that you need to keep the stock head unit for in order to keep airbag, alarm, etc

5. conduit

conduit sup

tryfuhl can u explain the t-splitter a bit more? Im lost as i have no clue in car audio and what is what :(

6. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

the t-splitter is basically a unit which allows for the hookup of more than one head unit...

certain factory head units, especially in GM cars, are needed to keep the factory radio in, as it houses the controls/settings for things such as the airbags, alarm, etc...

the bad thing is there probably isn't one made for your car unless it is one of these...

the good thing, you can install it anyways...it would be slightly ghetto but you could split the speaker connections, but i'd run a separate ground and power for the new HU...

7. conduit

conduit sup

Where can i get a t-splitter? Do any local audio shops carry it, and if so, do i ask for a t-splitter or a t-harness?

I got a GM car so hopefully, it can fit the grand prix.

Do you have a wire diagram anywhre by any chance?

Thanks alot for the help.