A&P still life/product photography - rates?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Jul 9, 2009.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Got an offer to shoot the product line for a really small company that a friend of mine designs for. Budget is tight, but I have no actual numbers. They keep pressuring me for a quote to shoot the job, but I have no clue what the proper cost for this would be.

They're looking for 20 photos, all different products, all at the same angle/lighting.

Should be cake.

Place is about an hours drive from my office.

What would you charge?

2. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

3. the Rosswog

the Rosswog OT Supporter

when i shoot products, i charge per item.

Factor in travel time, shooting time, post processing time, and delivery. Don't expect any extravagant fees for intellectual property rights.

4. bitchno3

bitchno3 New Member

When doing work like that, charge hourly, including travel time, with a minimum charge of 4 hours no mater how long it takes.

as for hourly rate, that's up to you.

I don't know photography rates, but my friend does video work and charges $75 per hour.

5. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

do not charge hourly

charge a photographers rate (up to you dependent on the project), usage rate dependent on specific usage and time, and any expenses.

also, find out what their budget is, so that you can see if it's something you can work w/. You don't want to give the a quote for $5000 only to find out they only have $500.

6. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

this,

not this, fucking amateur

photo rates should be based on usage, not by the hour and not a day rate unless you're testing or doing a trade of some kind and need a baseline exchange rate.

how many eyeballs are going to see it, what are they using it for? catalog and editorial = not much $, packaging, web = more $$, advertising, web = the most $$$. factor in: local market = $, regional = $$, national = $$$, full buyout = $$$$ and don't fucking give away the post-production.

you can always ask if they have budget or range in mind, sometimes they'll tell you, we have $XXXX.XX, sometimes they'll say they you're bidding against others so give us your best. i'd start around $250/300 per shot, depending on how they want to use the images = $5000/6000. they'll let you know if your too high. it's easier to take money off the table than it is to put it back on.

7. Section8

Section8 .

My wife has some friends that make pottery locally that are interested in pictures of their work and I was going to talk to them about doing it - this helps me out with figuring out how much to charge. I already know they don't have tons of money, so I was thinking of charging them $50-75 for a 4-5 piece shoot.

8. horselover fat

horselover fat in your driveway stealing your internet

i would just charge them in cake then :bigthumb:

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Here's the response I got back!

10. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Shit, that sounds good to me!