Still battling waterspots - now with more weapons!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dbman96, Jun 11, 2004.

1. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

OK - so I've got some NASTY waterspots on the hood of my black WRX. I don't know how they got so bad, but generous application of vinegar and elbow grease didn't touch them, nor did a clay bar.

After lurking about here a bit and getting some info from other forums, I decided to get myself a PC buffer (7336 at Lowe's was only $106 so I couldn't resist). I originally tried Maguires #2 "fine cut" by hand - I tried a small area, made a dent in the waterspots but left a really nasty trail of microscratches in my wake (OK, so there IS a reason it says for rotary buffers only!).

So I went and got the PC and a bottle of #9 swirl remover. Note that I only have the original WHITE pad on the PC since nobody nearby seems to sell the others. I went at it for awhile tonight; 2 applications of #9 until it was "dry-ish" and now the scratches left by the #2 application are NEARLY gone and the outlines of the waterspots are still too obvious for my liking.

Would a more aggressive pad (orange cutting pad?) help get the last of these offenders out? Or should I move to something more aggressive like one of the #80s? Right now I'm working with the products I can find at local auto stores which means #2, #7, #9. I'm going to try to make a run to the detailing supply place tomorrow AM before work though, since they close at 5 before I get off work. They would probably also have the other foam pads, I would hope... ?

2. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

you really shouldnt use the stock pad

just order some lake county/cma/meguiars pads

3. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Do you think a local auto detailing supply store will have any of those? I'd really like to get this taken care of NOW if possible! The supply place just has stupid hours so I need to get out there before going to work because I can't get home fast enough!

4. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

Order the pads online.

5. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Yes... yes, I think that's exactly what I need to do. I was just in a hurry and hate waiting for stuff.

Although I think I located an auto body supply place that has the full 3M auto detailing line.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You should use a polishing pad first since some cutting pads will haze slightly with a PC. The orange CMA cutting pad doesn't haze but the burgandy Meguiars cutting pad can with a PC.