Sticking Accelerator

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jackhole, May 5, 2002.

1. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

My dad has a 1997 Chevrolet G3500. Recently, the gas pedal has been really hard to press. You really have to romp on it to get it to go. This only happens when the engine is cold, though. Anyone have any ideas why?

2. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Have you tried just hitting the pedal and whatnot w/ a little wd-40? If that doesn't do it for you, it's gotta be the cable, I don't know if there's any sort of tensioner or anything for it, can't say I've ever had to do any work on mine.

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

We'll try that, but can you think of any reason why it would only happen when the engine is cold?

4. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

As far as the cold goes, the only thing I can think of is that the mechanism the cable is connected to is seizing up.

5. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I found some information for you while browsing recalls on nhtsa.org. It's not for your truck, but it's a possibility that you have the exact problem that this describes:

SOME OF THE ORIGINAL THROTTLE BODIES INSTALLED ALLOWED A GAP BETWEEN THE PLATE AND BORE TO BE BUILT TOO NARROW. THIS REDUCED CLEARANCE ALLOWED THE ENGINE DEPOSITS NORMALLY PRESENT IN THE THROTTLE BODY TO CONTACT OR BRIDGE THE GAP. IF THE ENGINE DEPOSITS BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN THE THROTTLE PLATE AND BORE AND THEN HARDENED, ON THE INITIAL APPLICATION OF THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AFTER THE ENGINE HAS COOLED, THE OPERATOR WOULD NEED TO APPLY ADDITIONAL FORCE TO THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL TO BREAK THE BRIDGE.