Stevia

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by kendog, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kendog

kendog Active Member

Anyone use this? I remember using this sweetener a couple years ago, stuff is super potent with just a few drops and taste is decent. Any negatives about this stuff? It's also really cheap for how long it lasts.

2. Krazy

Krazy OT Supporter

looks promising

we'll probably know for sure in a few years

3. smb is me

smb is me New Member

lol, i just spent the last 1-1.5hours reading up on artificial sweeteners. From what i read, stevia seems to be the best choice out there, the japanese have been using it successfully for over the last 20 years (about the same time america started with sweet-n-low and nutra-sweet, both of which have had public demises in that time period, and have been reconsidered by the FDA).

Those companies pressured the FDA to not allow, or at least make steep restrictions on stevia in the USA, which is why it never gained much steam here.

But yeah, from what i read, it is the superior choice to any of "our natural sweeteners" and it is actually natural, not some strange synthetic blend!! and as you said, the articles i read claim that it is 100 times as potent as sugar. All and all it sounded like the stuff to be using vs the other nonsugar options out there. (and by non sugar i am including honeys and natural syrups.)

edit: japanese culture has not reported the same side effects and health problems that are reported with any of the splenda, nutra-sweet, sweet-n-low products we have. But then, japanese aren't as whiny and complainy as americans either, so that could be it too.

4. Aspirin

Aspirin OT Supporter

fyi: From my "alternative medicine in diabetes" lecture

[FONT=&quot]n[/FONT]Leaves contain a series of glycosides chiefly stevioside ( comprises 6-18%)
    [FONT=&quot]n[/FONT]300x sweeter compared to 0.4% sucrose…has a slightly bitter taste
    [FONT=&quot]n[/FONT]Has been shown to stimulate insulin release from b cells in vitro
    [FONT=&quot]n[/FONT]Several clinical trials show its effectiveness in increasing glucose tolerance and ¯ plasma glucose

5. Biddy

Biddy I Bleed Aqua and Orange...

this is what me and my wife switched to

[​IMG]

made from the stevia plant...less bitter I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.