Stereo Shelf System

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Argyle, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Argyle

Argyle Guest

i'm looking into Stereo Shelf Systems because i dont have the dough for a real home audio system. Whats a good SSS that has good bass with good sound?? my money range is about 300-500

2. Couldn't you get a low end component set-up with $500?
    Like a Technics, Sony, or Pioneer system?

$150 for a reciever, $100 for a cd player, $250 for a pair of half decent quality book shelf speakers (Pyradigm :cool: )

No money left over for a sub; so you'll miss out on the low end. But you could always buy one later.

Or instead of buying the book shelf speakers (Pyradigm :cool: ). You could get one of those generic branded tower speakers with a 12" woofer inside those are like $100 i think?

Friends don't let friends buy mini systems ;) .

3. Wonka

Wonka Guest

Or, just a different route, you could go with a HT in a box so you can do more than just music.

I agree with CC though, if you can afford to go with a cheaper component setup, do it. The sound quality would be much higher.

Here is what I would do:

Denon 1802
    Denon CD player(or another CD player of your choice)

You can get both of these refurbished from www.ubid.com w/ a warranty.

Pair of Paradigm bookshelf speakers. Or, you can try to get some Wharfedale's or Klipsch speakers from www.ubid.com as well.

Good luck.

4. Argyle

Argyle Guest

ok.. can someone give me a list of what all i need to buy?? al i know of right now is receiver, cd player, and speakers. (man, i sound dumb. i feel like a freaking newbie asking these dumb questions.)

5. Speaker wire :p

6. Argyle

Argyle Guest

hehe cool thanx bro

7. ImBad

ImBad blah blah

Digital (optical or coaxial) connector to go from the cd player to the receiver.

8. It's usually included with the cd player.

You could always buy a better quality one. But at the $500 level you won't hear much difference.

9. Wonka

Wonka Guest

I have yet to see a fiber or coax cable included with a CD player.

The cables you buy are dependant on the receiver that you get. If you tell us exactly which receiver you intend on buying, I'm sure that one of us will be able to tell you the appropriate cables to purchase.

Also, don't buy extremely expensive cables ( > $50 ea.). With that system, you will not benefit from it. With the receiver/cd player you are going to purchase, $15 interconnects will do just fine.

Use 12 ga. speaker wire, that does make a difference. Don't get the limp twisty shit.

10. Argyle

Argyle Guest

ok, i've came up with a setup. please critique it...

Reciever - H/K 3370
    Sub - JBL-PB10
    Bookshelves - Klipsch Synergy Series SB-1
    CD Player - Sony - CDPCE375

Whatcha think?

i know its a little more than 500$ i was planning on spending but if i sell my drum set (which i've been planning on doing for a while) i can bump that up.

11. BumpnFD

BumpnFD Why don’t you do a triple fucking axel over to the

what are using it for, just music? ause if so all you need is a stereo reciever. here look into this setup.

Stereo Reciever- Sony STR-DE135 $150, 100 watts x2
    [​IMG]

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11000003&m=1&cat=3&scat=4

Cd Player- Sony 5 Disc CDP-CE275 $100.00
    [​IMG]

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11063956&m=1&cat=3&scat=5

Bookshelf Speakers- Bose 6" Direct Reflecting $200 [​IMG]

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11000165&m=1&cat=15&scat=16

Sub- Klh 8" 100 Watt- $100
    [​IMG]

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11036738&m=1&cat=15&scat=18

Thats gunna put you about 100 over with cables. So if you can scrape that together, this will be a good entry level system with alot of bass ( believe me, those klh subs produce alot, even for a cheap price) and the bose speakers fill a room nicley. Now, he may be able to get better for the money, but if he has to order online and stuff itsd gunna jack the price up at least another 150 bux. So this is all avalable at best buy.

12. Argyle

Argyle Guest

ya, its going to be for music.

the h/k is a stereo receiver. but i'll get the sony receiver that you mentioned if i dont sacrifice alot of SQ for it since the sony is 200 bux cheaper than the h/k.

Im going to stay with the klipsch speakers since they are only 50 bux more than the bose speakers.

I like the KLH 10'. almost the same amount of power as the jbl i was looking at and 150 bux cheaper. will i sacrifice alot of bass with the switch from jbl to KLH?

thanx

13. BumpnFD

BumpnFD Why don’t you do a triple fucking axel over to the

no, the klh has TONS of bass. Stick with the speakers, and if the money is availabl, stick with H/k