Stereo Setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by midnite, May 20, 2006.

1. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

I have an old school pair of B&W Matrix 3 floorstanding speakers I got cheap used, that are rated for 50w-200w at 8 ohm. Im looking on putting these in my living room to be used for music and movies.

Ive been looking at this Harmon/Kardon 120w x2 stereo reciever which seems like a pretty good deal for $280.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9535-7260055?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=172282

Ive also been looking at peicing together a used preamp/amp setup but i have a budget of about 500-700 dollars :hs: On a college student budget for now, I just want to get the speakers to work fairly well until im done with college and can spend more

any suggestions?

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  2. deltarider99

deltarider99 New Member

I've been an HK fan for a long time....although that 120x2 seems a tad high (not the RMS rating), I've heard HK receivers rated at 50x2 driving tower speakers and doing a great job to boot.

What's the sensitivity on those B&W's? Either way, you should be ok. It'll be a good setup.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i personally do not trust HK products

4. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

any reason? my Uncle is a big fan of them and my friend has an HK reciever and its awesome.

5. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

it says continues on thier website :dunno: and i dont know much about the speakers :hs: I got them super cheap from a guy who was going to use them as a project. theyre at a home audio shop getting checked out currently.