MIL Stepdad in Iraq

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Lindsay Loo, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lindsay Loo

Lindsay Loo ミ★ Mikel's POZ Partner ミ★

So my stepdad went to Iraq when the war first started... he's prior service and is only there working for Halliburton. He loves it over there and says the United States is too boring for him now. :(

At first when he went he was with Marines and apparently he didn't have nearly as many attacks on him. He was at Al Asad and Im not sure if he still is or not. Now I believe he is with the Army and last February he started having more attacks with one that caused him to be in the hospital for a few weeks.

Anyways. My point of posting this thread is to get an opinion from people in the military that really know what's going on over there. I just wonder if the war is just getting worse or if it's the possibility that the Army isn't as good in the convoys.

I dont like to read the newspaper or watch the news anymore based on the fact that I don't want to see or read about something awful happening to him. It really scares me :(

Anyways. Any insight is appreciated and yes this is a serious thread. :hs:

2. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

3. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

oh and it probably has to do with him not being at Al Asad anymore

4. Lindsay Loo

pics of what?

and i dunno if he's still at Al Asad anymore honestly. :dunno: he will be home May 1st and i will ask.

5. Lindsay Loo

well i kinda knew what he was asking for but i was kinda confused since i wasn't in the main forum :dunno:

and here ya go:

Me a few weeks ago
    [​IMG]

Me Yesterday with the new doggah Lola
    [​IMG]

oh and another from X-Mas with Drunk santa haha
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  6. Lindsay Loo

I want to contact him but my mom intercepts all emails to him. she has his password to his email and she doesnt trust him so she checks it often. he calls home every few weeks but since its patchy he only calls her. he wont tell her about bad things because she doesnt wanna know.

I dont get to see him but twice a year. When i do see him its for a short time and we dont get to really talk alot. Im not even sure if he's still at Al Asad. I know he *was* but im not sure if he moved :dunno:

He gets R&R and will be home May 1st so Im gonna get to see him and plan on asking him, but I think he shelters us from what is happening over there. I know its a war zone and I understand that and Ive seen some pictures that he's taken but I think his perception is skewed. He really enjoys his job so what might scare me is fun for him ya know?

7. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

I actually didn't know what he wanted when he said pics either.

I'm just use to those posts on the off-topic forum.

8. Lindsay Loo

haha i was thinking he wanted pics of my stepdad at first. i was like :eek5: :ugh:

9. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Al Asad is :greddy:

10. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

cmon, youre username is thischick and your avatar is a hot chick...of course he wanted pics of you haha

11. Lindsay Loo

while thats great news and all, you guys are missing the point. its not like he just hangs out on base. he goes out on the convoys and I am almost 100% certain that he is with the Army now as opposed to the Marines like when he first got there in 2004.

I want to know if the perception that he gives is as skewed as i think it is considering that he thinks the United States is boring or if the Iraqi people really are trying to kill all the US people like CNN portrays.

Also at first he wasn't acting like there was as much violence to his crew as there is now that he's working with the Army rather than the Marines. I didn't know if that was making a difference considering I know that the Marines operate a little differently than the Army. :dunno:

Plus like I said I am not even 100% certain that he is at Al Asad. I'll be able to find out more when he gets home as to where he is. Its just really hard for me to ask him what it's really like over there because I think he likes it too much.

12. Lindsay Loo

he makes good money sure, but he doesnt see much of it. the only money he really has over there is the money that he has advanced from his paycheck. the rest comes home. :dunno: my mom spends all the money

he was in the marines a long time ago and comes from a military family. his dad was in the Army and his mom was an Army nurse. as far as i know his whole family has served. He wanted to go to desert storm to do what he does now but the woman he was married to said no. this time when the offer came up he went. I understand his passion for what he does. He is adamant about the fact that the United States is boring to him.

I know that boring is relative, but he says that his 10 day R&R every 6 months is plenty long to come home. He's usually really ready to leave by the end of his R&R. I know that he has the typical Marine spirit and conviction that so many of them have. I think that has a huge part of why he loves being over there. Since he was too old to get back in the Marines, I think he settles for what he does instead. :dunno: I know that he is talking about taking classes to get a different job over there and be able to stay longer even if the troops are removed.

13. pakman

pakman New Member

I'm gonna guess he doesn't like your mom very much.

14. pakman

pakman New Member

We had a few guys voluntarily extend for another 12 months, so a total of 24 months. Some of these guys had little kids at home :hsugh:

15. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

yea..that's pretty crazy

16. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

i can clear up the marine army convoy difference... there isn't any, 1114 armored humvees are pretty GI and tactics such as route and frequency aren't decided by anything less then battalion sized elements.

17. Lindsay Loo

I already know that part, but honestly I dont think he uses Iraq as an excuse. The only kids are me and my brother. Im 24 and my brother is 26 so its not like we're young. I think he does realize that their marriage is over if he comes home for good, but I think he does like it over there. :dunno:

I just wanted to know about how you guys think it is since yall dont know me and probably dont care to protect my feelings.

18. Lindsay Loo

thank you. we got her yesterday. :wiggle:

19. pakman

pakman New Member

Chances are he probably works for KBR, which means they probably aren't going out on convoys everyday unless that's his job? The KBR guys on our camp only went on convoys when they were transferring and such. Otherwise, why risk yourself? I don't see how anyone could really enjoy that place. It's hot, dusty, there's nothing to do. I was 21 when I went over so obviously my mindset was a little different than your fathers, and he's probably making at least tripled what I made in a year. I remember meeting a few KBR guys that were there since OIF1, liked the money I guess? Can't really comment on how old people think.

20. Lindsay Loo

that is his job. he does go on convoys. thats all he does. he does them frequently and says he's away from camp for 1-2 weeks at a time..

21. Lindsay Loo

i have a mini dach that I left at my parent's house when I moved out with my fiance because she is happier there. we just got lola yesterday and she's absolutely the best dog i have had so far. :dunno: shes a sweetie and i love her.

22. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

People cannot compare the two (Marine vs Army) unless you give them facts such as where he was with the Marines, where exactly these convoys are traveling to and from and on what frequency. In a nutshell you are asking for opinions and yet have nothing to offer as facts for people to base their opinion on.

23. Lindsay Loo

well i dont believe thats 100% true. while i dont know how things are in Iraq, Im pretty sure that Marines have a different mentality than the Army even if its only by a little bit.

24. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

No doubt you've come to this conclusion based on great insight, extensive research and first hand experiences with Marines and soldiers in various work and training environments.

25. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

:cathiss:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.