Steer Clear If You Hate Minivans...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TripleLindy, Jan 17, 2008.

1. TripleLindy

TripleLindy New Member

Has anyone here (thats interested) checked out how the 08 Grand Caravan has been killing everything else in sales?

These releases and figures keep cycling around and to say the least - its impressive.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/...try-and-dodge-grand-caravan-take,254861.shtml

Any potential or current minivan owners in here with two cents on it?

Its supposed to be a grand machine - apparently people are buying it.

:coolugh:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the grand caravan has always held good sales because it's so cheap.

3. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

And fed to rental companies.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've thought for a long time it would be cool to buy an AWD model, stiffen the suspension, and add a blower to the motor. I mean, it can carry stuff as well as any SUV, and it's a lot lower-profile than an SUV, so all it's really missing is some extra motivation.

EDIT: ...and comfortable seats.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Lets see.... Grand caravan vs. GMC Yukon:

YK: 6.2L V8 + 6 speed auto + body-on-frame + AWD + rear wheel bias = EPIC WIN
    GC: 3.3L V6 + 4 speed auto + unibody + front wheel bias = massive failure.

Then again, massive failure is what I expect from deuse.

6. deusexaethera

Ah, but the Yukon needs those features because it pretends to be something it isn't.

And the reason why I think it would be cool to do that to a minivan is because NOBODY would EVER expect it. On the other hand, not many people are unaware that SUVs have big engines and good pickup.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

people have supped up minivans. They are called ricers.

8. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

You really can't beat the T&C/Caravan when it comes to a van. Replaced my wifes old T&C with a new T&C, test drove everything else, but in the end nothing was comparable price/comfort/feature wise.

I still find it amazing that Chrysler has been doing this for almost 25 years, and nobody has yet to dethrone them from the minivan segment, usually they screw it up by now. Honda and Toyota are getting a bit more serious in recent years, but Chrysler still owns the market by a long shot.

9. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Chrysler sells a shit ton of minivans to fleets. Japanese mfg's in general tend to not do huge discounts for fleet sales (to rental agencies) because they know it tends to decrease resale values.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The T&C/GC is largely a piece of shit. And it always has been. It's done well due to fleet sales and recockulous discounts.

If I absolutely needed a van and suicide wasn't an option, then I'd end up with a Honda Odyssey

11. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

90TRQ@$7 = EPIC FAIL >:O

12. deusexaethera

Nah, if you actually spent time driving them you'd go with the Caravan. You don't see too many Honda Odysseys rolling around with 283,000 miles on the clock.

I learned how to drive on a Plymouth Voyager. I still feel more secure driving that thing than I do any other vehicle. As much fun as small cars are, they can be very twitchy.

13. TripleLindy

TripleLindy New Member

Yeah, I tested one out two Fridays ago and I was very impressed with all of the features and the sturdiness of the interior (despite how it might look in pictures).

I've heard that over time, the Grand Caravan is actually pretty reliable long term. I highly recommend it. The sales figures are just that - figures.

Good point, Castor - its really remarkable that Chrysler hasn't loosened their full nelson on the industry.

14. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Sure they sell a lot to fleets, but what does that have to do with anything? Manufacturers care about selling a car once, resale is driven by supply and demand, the Caravan/T&C has a lower resale partially because they make hundreds of thousands each year, and have for many years. Also many people jump to the conclusion that Japanese = better, so dealers can charge a premium for them.

Care to elaborate on being a piece of shit? Again, perhaps I'm missing something with the point of fleet sales, but sales are sales, if fleet buyers were unhappy with them, they wouldn't be buying would they?

Honda makes a decent little van as well, but has an equally splotchy record with reliability and occasionally safety.

I'm not saying one van is better, or worse, than another, but dollar for dollar, GC/T&C typically delivers more.

15. deusexaethera

I think his concern about fleet sales is they don't really represent satisfied owners, because fleet buyers could care less how the car performs as long as the renters don't smash it to hell.

That said, it does say something that fleet buyers are pleased with the thing's durability. Let's face it, nobody buys a minivan because they want one, they buy them because they need one. And if you can keep one van/truck/SUV forever and drive other cars when you have a choice in the matter, then that saves you a substantial wad of cash in the long run.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not really. most "fleet" vehicles are rental cars and they get dumped after 1-2 years with 30-70k miles on the clock. Not really any "long term" reliability there.

17. mellow

mellow New Member

A prime example of the phrase "you get what you pay for". Ever WONDER why a GMC Yukon is TWICE the price of a Grand Caravan? Couldn't possibly BE because it's TWICE the vehicle. Jesus Christ...

18. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I am failing to see why this belongs in Trucks and SUV. A minivan is neither and if you think a minivan is EVER better than a Yukon you probably should steer clear of this section.

19. deusexaethera

The only definite "twice as much" in that list was the engine displacement. Everything else is a preference. You don't need body-on-frame, or a rear-wheel bias, or even AWD at all. It's a fucking road vehicle, just like 99% of the Yukons ever sold.

20. mellow

mellow New Member

It IS just a preferance, but so is engine displacement. Every preference in a vehicle will cost you money. I PREFER power windows... even though they can cost extra. I PREFER a CD player, but that costs extra too... twice the ease of effort for comfort, and twice the entertainment. TWICE. Jesus...