Steam/CS/Ventrilo in the dorm room

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Koolmoto, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Koolmoto

Koolmoto New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    My college dorm has some terrible internet connection. I think it's a shitty cable connection for the whole school which slows down during peak hours. I am on a counter-strike team and I have a match tonight at 11pm for cal-im placement. Steam has horrible problems here especially afternoon to night time. Lots of times when I open steam, it just sits there in processes with 0% of computer CPU usage not doing anything. Sometimes if I wait long enough (sometimes hours) the program will finally open and log in. If steam happens to be logged in, and I try to open counter-strike, the same lagout problem usually happens and if I wait long enough it might open. Usually I just say screw it and just let it sit there and maybe an hour later the game will be open. But tonight, I have a match and it's kind of important that I be there so I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's any way around this problem.

*Also, because of the bad internet, the voice chat program Ventrilo ALWAYS has ping in the thousands and is impossible to use. Any ideas?