Stealth RT / 3000GT VR4

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by killaGTP, Jul 12, 2007.

1. killaGTP

killaGTP Holden poser Moderator

what should i look for as possible issues? found a stealth with 135K miles for about 2500bux that i'm going to go check out this weekend. the guy that currently owns it is a mechanic so hopefully its in decent shape but what should i look out for? should i get the turbos rebuilt if they haven't been yet? any and all help would be really appreciated.

2. millero

millero Aluminum Member

transmission, turbos

3. project15

project15 New Member

everything

jk, i <3 those cars.

4. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

I have always loved the VR-4. Especially the 97-98 and the 99's.

5. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

The trannys are pretty strong actually, its the transfer cases that you have to watch out for...

Overall a good car for the money...

6. Intro

Intro New Member

depends on what u want out of the car, if its a pre 94( i think) itll have lifter noise, dont worry about this, u can swap out the lifters from a new generation pretty easily. if its 93 and up itll come with the 25 spline transfer case (stronger than 18 spline in earlier models), the attenna will not work, the tranny will make noise when the clutch is not depressed, this is the t/o bearing common problem again nothing to worry about ( i dont know if there is a cure yet), active aero may or may not work. If the car was properly maintained the engine will be good for 2xx,xxx miles. dont get the turbos rebuilt, if u are gonna go through all the work to replace (pull engine) get a bigger turbo, such as the 15g (a ported 9b with a bigger compressor wheel, or u can send urs in to be ported and the wheel added), get rid of the all wheel steering, alot of unneeded weight. These cars are awesome, but most likely ull need to replace alot of parts. when buying this car for 2500+ have at least 4,000 to spend on tune up parts.
    o and to take care of the transfer case breaking pick up a tranfer case brace

3si.org is ur friend

7. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Keep an eye on the oil, that's it. They are notorious for spinning bearings. You don't have to remove the engine to replace the turbos, and the turbos are cheap even if they did need replacing for some reason. Everyone bitches about the transmission, but they are actually stout. Your transfer case will be fine unless you do 7K RPM clutch drops.

8. Intro

Intro New Member

to remove the rear turbo it would make life alot easier to pull the motor.

9. vertGST

vertGST New Member

The guys that make power with them tend to strip the splines on the output shaft. That's one of their major issues. They are also very heavy cars. Overall though they are not bad. The 99 model especially looks great.

10. I like looking at pictures of them but I would never buy one. ever.

11. Boosted98gsx

Boosted98gsx Active Member

The transfer cases are a big issue on those drivetrains.