Steady state 45 min cardio vs sprints for abomb

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Abomb, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abomb

Abomb New Member

This is what I understand to be true, please correct where I am wrong.

1. Sprints is more effective for endo and mesomorph body types.
    2. steady state cardio is most effective for ectomorph hard gainer types.

i could be classified as mainly ecto... hard to gain... small joints... small waist blah blah everyone knows wtf an ecto is.

a couple weeks of steady state cardio on the elliptical has yielded me poor results for bf loss. (45 mins, 150-160 constant hr)

Those who actually run sprints on a fairly consistent basis, would it behoove me to give sprints a shot as a superior form of fat loss?

if so, what sprint setups would you recommend me, i would probably do this on a high school football field.

2. smb is me

smb is me New Member

Because it pisses me off when i make a post, everyone views it and no one responds, i'll make a pity reply for you.

I could be wrong, but this is my limited understanding of it.

optimal results will come from:

Low intensity Steady State if: you are low carb dieting. This keeps you below the level of catablizing muscle for energy, and in the zone where you are burning stored fat for energy. specifically true if its fasted cardio, and as a general rule, you don't start tapping into the stored fat until after about the 20 minute mark, thus the reason you'll usually see recommended AT LEAST 30 mins of cardio.

Sprinting:
    If you are getting plenty of carbs and a healthy diet, sprinting burns more calories and quicker than low intensity steady state. Yes, some of it will be muscle but not like in low carb (where sprinting should be avoided) b/c you have adequat stores of glucose, so you don't have to worry so much about your body breaking apart muscle to steal the amino acids containing glucose. Therefor, you can burn more calories quicker, or A LOT MORE calories by doing the same time frame as steady state. Making it a superior form of cardio.

HIIT: never really done any research, so not sure, but somehow i think this combines the best of both. in that it maintains the non catabolic functions, and the higher calorie burning properties, but again, don't know how well this works with low carb vs moderate vs high carb dieting. I just remember someone bitching that it shreds muscle just as quickly as fat in another thread :dunno:

If thats helpful, hoooray.
    if not, sorry, but thats about the extent of any knowledge i have on the subject, and that could very well be wrong. thats a loose interpretation of things i have read off the internet, which may have been wrong to begin with.

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Sprints are the shit.

4. smb is me

smb is me New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maines' Reply > My reply

--and more informative too!!

5. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

source?

6. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

I would do sprints unless you like sitting on the fucking stepmill for an hour. Idk why you are trying to lose weight anyways though.

7. Abomb

Abomb New Member

not having visible abs but being relatively lean everywhere else is the most annoying situation for me.

8. Abomb

Abomb New Member

how should i do my sprints? duration distance rest periods etc etc?

9. Johnny Bravo335

Johnny Bravo335 New Member

Trying to resist replying to these "running threads" but here I go again....
    My fav routine is 4 sets of 400s with 2 min breaks in between. Target time is 90 secs or less per 400. If you are a machine, you can try to hit 75 secs or better.

10. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

FYI Adam, this is what I'm going to use starting next week.

Will post before/afters or you can do it too and post yours. :)

11. Abomb

Abomb New Member

I will Chang. im looknig forward to doing low test befores with high test afters.

12. Abomb

Abomb New Member

dont resist. help a brother in fitness out. thanks :bowdown:

13. Abomb

Abomb New Member

and sprint = ALL OUT BALLS TO THE WALL run right? or just like 80% of max

14. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

if you can hit 60sec 400m with 80% effort, I'll buy you whey for a year but Nike will be at your door steps first prob.

15. Johnny Bravo335

Johnny Bravo335 New Member

Well that is a relative term....for me to run a 90 sec 400, it is 70%-80% LOE. Go find your local track and start pushing the old ladies out of the way and find out what you clip.

16. LocTite98

LocTite98 Chillin'

SMB, lets say your carb intake is around 200-250 Grams, you know, nothing too high or too low. Will the LI steady state cardio be as effective.

So, running on the treadmill for a moderate pace for about 30 mins, will burn some stored fat?

17. Abomb

Abomb New Member

yeah i dont know for a fact if i can do that or not. I do know after 2 days of running (after having never ran in my life ever really) i was doing sub 10 minute miles but DYING after that first mile.

i dont know how long it will take me to hit the 400m but it could still be 80% "effort" :p

18. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

http://www.crossfitendurance.com/

You can check here for a variety of different ways to improve your cardio endurance. It's supposed to be in used in conjunction with CrossFit.com but really you can add it in wherever.

19. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Buy a Prowler and push it 3-4x a week. You will lean out.

20. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

Well eat better then. Its not about doing sprints or the stepmill at the point your at. Its about eating the same shit everyday over and over and slowly getting leaner. Maybe you should try that?

21. smb is me

smb is me New Member

I'm not sure, to be honest. I'm going to defer this question to Neo or Pur or Macro or Ceaze (who doesn't really post anymore). My simple answer: if it was me and i was getting those amounts of Carbs I wouldnt worry about catabolism as much, I'd do faster cardio just to burn calories quicker and get done quicker. It might not be the right decision, but its what i'd do, and thats my logic behind it.

I don't want to spin out an entire thread of bad advice if i'm off base. Just google "low intensity steady state cardio" or goodle low intensity vs. high intensity cardio, and see what you can find.

lol, that also doubles to Evo as "my source."
    Basically, I found a couple of online article talking about why low intensity is better than high intensity when doing low carb diets. And most mentioned something about breaking down muscles to get at (one or two of the primary) amino acids containing glucose. But it doesn't do that if you keep your heart rate lower, thus low intensity.

again guys: i'm not an expert, or even particularly well read. I've done about 3-4 hours of "research" on it over the last month. and by research i mean google searching info about different diet plans, getting side tracked into reading about nutrition partitioning, then looking into insulin and how it affects ur muscle growth, and basically gathering enough knowledge to be even more confused, but to have a better idea of what i am confused about.

22. smb is me

smb is me New Member

I'd also like to add that you won't have to look hard to find sources saying High intensity is the best. You won't have to look hard to find sources saying low intensity is the best. its the internet. Try one, and if it is working for you go with it. If its not, switch it up. Or do it for awhile and switch it up anyways.

General concensus does however say LISS (low inten steady state) for low carb/ketosis, they seem to primarily agree on that.

23. KenRockwell

KenRockwell Guest

Sounds more like a diet problem if you're doing 45 mins a day at that heart rate and not losing.

24. LocTite98

LocTite98 Chillin'

:) , cool dude. No worries. Jus trying to learn some wisdom.

25. smb is me

smb is me New Member

:wavey:

And i'm trying to share what little i have. But i want to be fully transparent about where my "wisdom" is coming from. :big grin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.