LGBT STDs

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by da_pro12, May 28, 2004.

1. da_pro12

da_pro12 Guest

What kinda stds can be transmitted through oral sex?

2. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...the quick answer is damn near everything. But being as I started and lived in the Sexual Health & Resource Center at my college, allow me to be a bit more informative:

Oral Sex: Using Your Head...

The first thing you need to understand is that oral sex is now the most common type of unprotected sex.

The second thing that you need to understand is that there are different levels of risk, depending on the STD and the type of oral sex you engage in. By far, the easiest STDs to get from oral sex are the types that cause sores and blisters (like syphilis, herpes, or HPV)--and that's from getting OR giving. That doesn't mean that the usual suspect like gonorrhea, and NGU infection aren't also fears, because they are. Hepatitis A, Intestinal Parasites, and Herpes can be easily passed through rimming without a barrier. Remember that it is easier to pass STDs when sores, blisters or discharge (drip) are present, and having an STD can increase your chances of getting infected with HIV.

An interesting fact that people fail to remember is that the largest percent of the HIV virus is carried through pre cum, into unprotected mouths. Even if you're just planning on giving a lil head, wrap it up first. Or don't; suck it raw, and find out just what you can get. Many people are unclear on the risks associated with oral sex. Questions about oral sex and the risk of contracting an STD are very common. Many people engage in unprotected oral sex, and are particularly concerned with the risks associated with not using protection...

Sooo what are the risks, you ask??
    • Herpes is probably the biggest STD risk during oral sex. Both strains of herpes can live in the mouth or the genitals, and particularly during outbreaks (cold sores, herpes lesions) can be passed from one place to the other. Many people have oral herpes, more than 50% of a random group of people will have antibodies to the virus (indicating some level of infection). Having oral herpes for most people is no big deal, a cold sore during times of stress or illness is usually little more than an annoyance. Genital herpes can be more complicated and uncomfortable, but there are treatments (see Herpes Fact Sheet for more info). Care should be taken so that oral herpes are not passed to anyone’s genitals. In general it is not a good idea to have unprotected oral sex while any lesions are present.
    • Chlamydia and gonorrhea can infect your throat, strep like symptoms, and are curable with antibiotics. These can also infect the eye, and though rare, eye infections can have serious consequences, so be careful with fluids.
    • HIV can be passed through unprotected oral sex, but it is more likely to be passed during unprotected penetrative sex. The infected semen (especially precum) or vaginal fluid must enter the body through a cut or sore in the mouth or esophagus. The virus is unlikely to be passed from a person’s mouth to another person’s genitals.
    • HPV can be passed during oral sex, but it is rare. HPV has been found on vocal chords.
    • Syphilis can be passed similar to HIV. Syphilis is curable.
    • Hepatitis A is a risk particularly in oral-anal sex, and people engaging in this unprotected might want to look into getting a Hep A vaccine. Hep A is not a chronic condition like Hep B and C, but can make a person quite sick several weeks.
    Also, although I hate to say this, I know that a lot of gay men question whether to spit or swallow. Limiting exposure to semen reduces risk of infection, so ejaculation away from partner’s body is the safest. That said, the mouth is the place most likely to contract something like HIV, so the conventional wisdom is, “swallow or spit, just don’t let it sit.” This carries way more weight if you just brushed your teeth before your hot date/ make-out-suck-session/ scheduled hook up.

3. krista

krista New Member

coco..the last part..“swallow or spit, just don’t let it sit.” if you don't want diseases, you shouldn't let it in your mouth. its not gonna matter how fast you spit it out or swallow it down, it doesnt take long for infections to be transmitted

4. CoCo

yea...that's why I didn't wanna say it. I use condoms for oral sex, but I know that a lot of gay men do not. That is why I stated it; if they are gonna be unsafe, I'd rather point out to them the lesser of the 2 evils... I in way am an advocat of swollowing.

5. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

The girl 3 seats down from me in my bio class is named "Chlamydia." I spit out my water when the professor called out her name.

6. CoCo

:rofl:

7. optimus55333

optimus55333 Guest

:wtf:is going thought the minds of some of these parents.