MMA STD testing for events.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Two toys, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Two toys

Two toys New Member

is there any pre-fight blood tests that the lesser events require? even the UFC/Pride events etc.

is it a risk?

is it talked about?

2. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

Depends on where it is sanctioned I believe. I'm not 100% sure but I'm guessing places like California and Vegas do screenings. I know they do physical, eye, head, brain, and sometimes blood scans. Its probably an issue with the risk of transmission.

If its on an indian reserve its up to the promoter isn't it?

3. Two toys

Two toys New Member

I'd just be afraid to fight anyone knowing that I could possibly contract HIV. Blood is almost a given in most fights (assuming they don't go to submission).

4. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

CSAC requires bloodwork, a sports physical, and a neuro exam. Most state commissions are probably the same. Its the unsanctioned res shows that pose the problem, but most of them are coming around.

I'm fighting in GC on the 11th, and initially I thought they were only gonna require an on-site check up by their doc. Then they called back and said they were gonna require bloodwork because they're trying to move towards fully sanctioned events (they're doing some off-res shows now). Then they called again and said don't worry about it, because everyone was bitching about the cost (~$100 for bloodwork when my fight purse is 100/200) and they didn't want to cover it.

5. Two toys

Two toys New Member

does it bother you at all that you are at risk?

6. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I know the dude i'm fighting, used to train with him, so i'm not that concerned. Otherwise I probably would be. I definitely think the move towards full sanctioning/stricter controls is a good thing.

7. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

The point is if he has anything I already put myself at risk by training with him, as all of us do with all our training partners. What difference does it make doing it in a cage?

8. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I'm trippin right now 'cause i've got a sinus infection:wtc: I've been on anti-biotics since wednesday and its still not completely gone...throat is mad sore and i'm stuffed up. I felt like I was in ridiculous shape before i got sick...way stronger than I've ever been, great cardio...now I feel like I'm losing ground:hs: