SRS Staying the night at the Hospital with my Dad

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SpectreMatrix, Jan 10, 2008.

1. SpectreMatrix

SpectreMatrix New Member

My dad fell last week broke his shoulder socket, his thumb and hit his head. He had surgery yesterday to fix the socket. I have been running the company and taking care of my brother off and on for a few days. Last night he spent the night alone and he freaked out and tried to leave, ripping out his IV. I just got him settled in for the night, though he requires oral percocet because he ditched the IV. He is unusually aggressive so it stands to be a rough night.

I am frustrated because I am stuck here at a hospital alone(dad's asleep) watching my hero suffer with little I can do.

2. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

:hug: Hospitals are scary places. He probably felt very out of his comfort zone, especially being alone. The best thing you can do for him (emotionally) is just be there with him, it probably means the world to him, even if he cannot show it. No one has fun or is happy while in the hospital, so don't take his aggression personally. It's very frustrating to be laying around in pain and unable to live your daily life. Just be there for him. Things will sort themselves out when he's feeling better. I got surgery last week, and while I wasn't in the hospital more than a few hours, I was very, very cranky because I was uncomfortable and limited as to what I could do. Even just having my mother sit with me in the living room and watch television with me made me feel better.

3. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

that sucks, i hope he has insurance, and i hope that he calms down.

all i have to say is if you want better treatment for him, im sure you do, be sure to treat every nurse very well. they appreciate that.

i hope he has a speedy recover. and it helps you being there. you are doing a great thing

why are you taking care of your brother? is he a lot younger? and how old are you? running a biz is a huge responsibility especially if you havent been working there for long (or at all)

4. SpectreMatrix

SpectreMatrix New Member

I am 26 my brother is 6 (adopted) and we formed the company 3 years ago, but I am taking care of a lot because my dad is out, my mom is out and so is one of our assistants, I am VP so I can handle 100% of the operations so its not so bad. I am also working as a part time network admin, though I was able to clear that load for a few days.

The staff here at this hospital have been awesome! And insurance isn't an issue :)

Thank you guys for your support, its just hard watching him in so much pain.

5. Yuppy

thank god you are insured. a lot of small biz's skip that. your father is a very responsible man for doing that.

just be sure to ask questions and if your dad makes complaints to you be sure to tell the doc about them to allow him to adjust his medications, etc.

6. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I haven't ever had to spend the night at a hospital so I can't say I know what you're going through. I did have a Grandma that spent her last few months of life in a Hospital and we went to see her weekly and that sucked hard core.

7. Yuppy

yea i was at the ER on sunday night for a back injury. it sucks. luckily i didnt have to stay overnight.

hopefully you can get more family members down there to see him. company is great, even if your dad is a hardass (i dont know if he is but pulling out the ivs and being upset makes it sound like he is). he may not act like he wants them there, but he will secretly appreciate it.

8. Deckard

Deckard New Member

Hospitals are scary as hell, and it's always tough (not to mention frightening) when something like that happens to someone you're so close too.

I'm afraid that the only advice I can give you is to stay positive and to try to surround yourself (and your Dad, for that matter) with people who are not only positive, but will help calm him down . Hang in there, and I hope everything works out!

9. SpectreMatrix

SpectreMatrix New Member

Dad is home and doing much better. His blood sugar is down to 130 from 350 and he has recovered a good amount of mobility already.

10. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

The aggressive tendencies may a separate illness. Is he diabetic? Has he been dizzy and having problems maintaining balance in the past?

11. Asherman

Asherman New Member

Hanging out at hospitals in always difficult. Here are a few tips:

* Always have a good book and a couple of magazines on hand. There is a whole lot of waiting, and reading fills the time while distracting the mind. I suppose having wireless connections to the Internet, music, etc. would also help in this regard.

* Try to set up shifts with others so you can get away from the hospital atmosphere for at least a few hours each day. Trying to sleep on sickroom furniture, or couches out in the lobby may be better than no sleep at all, but not much better. You need to get some rest, shower and see the sky to help cope with the stresses.

* Many hospitals these days have contracts with fast food outfits. Avoid them, the hospital staff are probably eating in a cafeteria hidden away somewhere in the bowels of the institution. Find it and you'll eat better and at less expense.

* It should go without saying, but cultivate a relationship with the nursing staff... they generally can make the whole experience easier.

The worry over medical costs can't be totally banished, even with great insurance. It's best to just shove those concerns off into a corner until your patient has "turned the corner" and is ready to be released. There isn't anything you can do during those first frantic days and nights, and probably not even much that can be done later beyond a bit of negotiation. Don't try to negotiate while emotionally trying to cope with the emergency.

We're still learning about this hospital thingy. We thought we had it nailed before my wife first went into the hospital a year and a half ago. No insurance at that time and we'll be paying off the medical bills for years to come. Since then she's on MediCare, so we hope that future medical bills will be within what we can afford on our pensions. She is finally going to be released today from Rehab after being hospitalized for a fall, infection and surgery to remove a blood clot in December 2007. Have to go now to pick her up. This is our 42nd wedding anniversary today, so I suppose we'll have a celebratory dinner out this evening.