Staying informed...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JWolfe, Aug 11, 2003.

1. JWolfe

JWolfe Guest

Where do you all get your information on current trends, new products, news, etc about the computer/IT world? I'm looking for a two or three magazines/websites that will give me a pretty broad spectrum of news about the tech world.

2. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

Like news of latest products? Overclockers.com 2cpu.com amdzone (I think) places like that.

3. JWolfe

JWolfe Guest

Not hardware, which I'm not really too interested in. Mostly language-related stuff, where the industry is heading, new trends on the web, political stuff maybe.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I know nothing about languages and where the industry is heading with them. So I can't help you. But for other tech news I usualy keep up to date with coworkers/friends/and online sources like slashdot and the register

5. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Personally, I try and avoid trends in IT. For general news I normally get my information from news.com or Slashdot.

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I don't follow language trends much either (kind of pointless - pick a language and run with it or get a job and let them pick).

I follow Slashdot for the entertainment and humor (the SCO drama always brings a tear of laughter and the notice about DefCon's WiFi shoot out was cool too). Its also fun to see what some bored high tech college student did with a lot of spare time and some lab parts (Internet enabled electronic darts was great as well as the automatic beverage dispensor/fridge).

For HTML and scripting (all web flavors) I find http://www.evolt.org handy (usually updated every few days).

What kind of trends are you looking for?

As for magazines, ComputerWorld and Information Week are pretty good. And I believe with ComputerWorld (is there a space in there?), you can get free issues if you love filling out bogus info cards about "your company" - tell 'em you're the IT director/manager and you make a lot of buying decisions with several million bucks.

7. JWolfe

JWolfe Guest

Mostly just new developments in languages, hiring trends, how things are being used on the web, etc. Pretty broad, I guess.