Statistically, which is the best type of RAM to use with P4s?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Der SchattenJager, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

Now that there are motherboards that support both RDRAM and DDR SDRAM, I want to know something. With all else being equal, which performs better? PC1066, or, say, PC3500?

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

It all depends on the motherboard. I would say pick a board and then research from there. They are all different.

3. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

In my opinion, the RDRAM has basically met its end in desktop applications because the only new chipset out that is going to support it is made by SiS. Intel chipsets are going to full DDR into the future, so that seems like the place to be higher performance or not. Although the new dual channel DDR-400 boards that were announced yesterday seem to pack in a lot of features and some great performance.

4. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

Interesting. I've always heard that RDRAM was faster, which was one of the reasons it's more expensive.

What about for applications such as 3d modeling/animation/any of the VERY system intensive applications like that?

5. Sideways

Sideways Do I look like I give a damn?

Don't even waste your time with RDRAM, it is pretty much dead and there really isn't much of a future for it.

Besides, Dual-channel DDR is here.