Stationary bikes

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Kcomps, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

Does anyone take a spinning class or ride a stationary bike for cardio. If so I just started ridding for about thirty minutes and wondering if anyone has a routine they do or do they just ride and move up the resistance? Thanks brollies.

2. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

ifl, I'll ask my boss tomorrow, she teaches like 6 spin classes a week and I know has a routine :eek4:

3. knucks

knucks Active Member

I just wish the bikes at my gym had some kind of a computer on them. i'd love to know how fast im spinning and my distance. i hate those recumbent shit cuz i can clip into these..

i've just been doing 30min riding at what seems somewhat moderate pace :dunno:

You can always do HIIT

4. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

my gym just got new bikes that tell the distance, but they're like a video game cause your racing other people. It is kinda of a motivation to beat the other people on there. You can change the gears to like your on a 21 speed each one adding more resistance. I don't care for them but they're kinda cool cause you can make a online profile on them and track your time distance and stuff from you home comp.

5. Daria

Daria New Member

I wanted to buy one of those for my house, but then I saw the price and it was like 15k or something :ugh2: Only for businesses to buy I guess.

I have a spin bike at home ($400 from some guy on Kijiji :bigthumb:) and I use a routine with pieces that I learned from spin classes previously.

I bike for an hour, because I love it and I vary my segments by song.

1 - What I noticed in the spin classes was that there was your basic warmup/cooldown/easy ride song, where you put your hands wherever you want on the handle bars and just ride at a comfortable pace at a resistance where your legs aren't bouncing.

2 - There was a large hill song. So you start at your comfortable pace, then increase your resistance two or three times at gradual intervals (I use music to time myself) where the third time is your hardest part of your hill. Then after the song dies down a bit, I ease off the resistance to the comfortable one and repeat another hill when the music picks up again. I repeat this until the song is over.

3 - There is the racing song, where you get your hands at the end of your handlebars and you ride low and close to the bike at a resistance that is slightly harder than your comfortable one, but you go as fast as you can for the whole song.

4 - There is the small hills song. It's basically #1, but alot more hills packed into one song. I like to raise the intensity higher than #1 and do the transitions at a faster pace.

5 - The standing song. My butt is killing me at some point or I'm just bored of sitting and want to bike at a standing position for the length of a song. Resistance has to be like the beginning of a hill or whatever feels right to keep you heart rate up. During the standing song, bounce as little as possible (you will feel the difference).

So I do a mix of these with the rest songs in between in whatever order I feel like doing them.

Some really good pointers I've learned in the spin classes:
    - Try to prevent your knees from leaning outwards from the bike. For this, I concentrate on squeezing my inner thigh so that the knee stays directly in line with my ankle

- Your intensities should range from a comfortable rate and the highest is where you are very uncomfortable, panting.

- Keep your shoulders relaxed and back at all times.

I take an hour for this because I work at a sit-down job and don't get much activity during the day, but I guess it's up to you how much time you want to spend.

6. knucks

knucks Active Member

thats pretty fucking cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.