Starvation mode if only <1000 calories rarely?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Laurel, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Most days I manage around 1500 calories, but some days, like once, maybe twice a week, but rarely concurrently, I miss lunch and end up with around 900 calories for the entire day. I always have a healthy breakfast, either an egg white omelet with some low fat cheese, oatmeal with some milk and honey, or fat free yogurt with some kashi GoLean Crunch. I usually have a snack during the afternoon as well, either some craisins, or baby carrots, and a cup of coffee with a little sugar, and then dinner, usually consisting of brown rice and chicken breast with steamed broccoli or something similar.

If I get less than 1000 calories for only one day and then go back up to 1500ish, will this put my body into starvation mode, or does it take a couple days to get into it?

I'm just trying to lose some extra pounds and I'm pretty much a noob. Thanks. :hsd:

2. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

guy or girl?

Assuming girl, 1000 cals way too low, and depending on activity, weight, and maintenance cals 1500 is often enough going to be low as well.

Even having a couple protein bars (or granola bars, or a bag of nuts, or w/e) in your bag are valuable if you are having a tough time getting the right amount of calories.

3. Laurel

Laurel New Member

CalorieKing says "The approximate daily calorie count for you to maintain your current weight is 1854 calories."

I thought starvation mode was 1/2 of your maintenance calories.

I'd like to lose weight as fast as possible, but I'd like most of it to be fat. I live a pretty sedentary life though. I do climb over 200 stairs to get to classes and have to hike halfway across campus, but that's pretty much the extent of my physical exertion for the day.

Yes, I am a girl. My goal weight is about 20 lbs less than what I weigh now.

4. Laurel

Laurel New Member

How do you add people to your ignore list?

5. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

You've written down your problems in your post - you live a sedentary life, but you want to lose fat as fast as possible...and assuming by your posts, you don't see anything wrong with dipping as low as 900 calories.

You will lose size if you keep up a continued diet which is low. I had a girlfriend who ate 1200 calories, then 1000 calories when she stopped losing. She lost 28lbs in around 18 weeks, but when you consider that she started at 160lbs, she did have a fair bit to lose...so that's more why it worked so 'quickly'.

What you need to do is keep a fair calorie rate - so if you require 1854, you can afford to drop 500 calories - so 1354 should be your minimum calorie intake if you keep at the same level of exercise. If you have a bit to lose, I'd start at maybe 1600 so you don't stop losing in a few weeks time.

BUT, and this is important, you will still carry fat - you'll lose mostly muscle, you won't be "toned" and you'll be even more pissed off because you're only eating a few calories a day.

To see real results, you need to move more - go for a run, climb those stairs/hike across campus for the exercise and not just to get to campus, walk to the shops, join a sports club on campus, go to the gym, go swimming. Keep your calories at 1854 and exercise the 250 or 500 calories away. You'll look better, feel better and you'll be able to eat nicer stuff too.

6. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I know I have some problems, and that's why I'm posting asking for advice. I know that I need to start exercising, but I'm unwilling to spend money on a gym membership to do things that I could be doing for free.

I was curious if my body would go into starvation mode during a 1 day stint of not eating much. That seems to be the case, so I'll be careful to eat extra foods. I'm not too far below your ex, so I expect that I should lose weight fairly quickly to begin with at least.

I don't expect all of the fat to magically melt off of me, I know that I'll lose muscle and I won't look "toned," but I think that I need to lose this 20 lbs to start with and then maybe I'll have some drive to get "Toned" :mamoru:

If I eat around 1400 calories, and then begin exercising more, will I need to eat more to keep from dropping into starvation mode, or will I be okay?

Thanks for your help. :)

7. trancezj

trancezj New Member

wtf. you bastards are slipping.

ass pics?
    boobage pics?
    pics?

pics then help.

8. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

there is no "starvation mode" that goes on and off like a switch. What happens is a gradual metabolic slowdown that occurs whenever you are in a caloric deficit. This happens whether you are 1 calorie under maintenance or 1000. The only difference is how quickly it occurs.

9. :|

:| Guest

thread title sounds like no gym for home

10. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Thanks. I needed that clarification but couldn't find it searching google.:wavey:

11. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I have weight to lose. :o

12. Abomb

Abomb New Member

we need ass shot in thong before this thread proceeds

13. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

clarification after requests from F&N are fulfilled

14. trancezj

trancezj New Member

fine. we'll call them "before" pics. post up woman.

15. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Actually, a short term (2-3 days) deficit will boost your metabolism because of the release of cathecolamines :eek3:

16. jonno

jonno New Member

17. mkashew

mkashew New Member

You should never consume less than 1000 calories in a day before consulting a doctor.

Think I read that on a Hydroxycut bottle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.