Startup problems... help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Ok, i returned to my computer today and it had a blank screen. I assumed the monitor had powered itself off, like i have it set to... but it wouldnt wake up when i moved the mouse or hit some keys on the keyboard. So, i did a hard reset.

When it restarted, i got a keyboard error... saying my ps/2 keyboard wasnt connected correctly. I found this odd, since i hadnt moved the keyboard or connection at all, and i've never had trouble with this keyboard. It let me press F1 to setup, or F2 to continue, and both ways worked... and the keyboard actually functioned fine.

Once past the weird keyboard error, it boots, tho taking longer than normal, but runs into problems again jsut past the Windows XP loading screen, right before the login screen should come up. My monitor just goes black, like its in power saving mode and/or isnt receiving a signal. From there, its completely unresponsive...

I tried restarting a few times, trying a few different things... and every once in a while i'll get some crazy lines and fuzzy shit on the monitor for a minute before it goes blank.

I'm sort of assuming my video card has bit it... but the keyboard error is throwing me off. I did do some surgery on the video card last weekend (remove heatsink and reaplce thermal paste)... but it had performed perfectly since the rebuild... and its kinda random that its died this long after i was fucking with it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

got another card you can stick in there and see what happens?
    What kind of card is it now?

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

My bad... shoulda posted specs first.

FX 5700 256MB
    AMD Athlon 3200
    PC Chips mobo (dont remember which model off the top of my head)
    2x512 MB RAM (valuselect)

And no, i dont have another card i could stick in there.

4. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Go out to Wal-Mart and buy a power supply.
    Plug it in and see what happens.

I suggest that if it IS the power supply you return the one at Wal-Mart anyways. There are better ones out there that you can get at places like Newegg.
    But in a pinch, if you want to rule out the power supply, Wal-Mart will do.

5. darnit

darnit New Member

From your symptoms, I would probably say your ram is bad or your video card.The fact that your symptoms are kind of random leads me to believe you have a bad stick of ram.
    Remove one stick and try to boot.
    Then switch and try again.
    Then strip out all your cards except video, if you have any onboard services like sound/network card, disable in bios.
    if you get a good run, turn off then plug in your other stuff one by one.
    I dont really think its your power supply as they are pretty simple devices, they either work or they dont. Though with electronics there is no perfect problem

6. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Ok... finally figured it out. My CMOS battery is dead, or failed at some point... so my system clock reset itself to 2003... which apparently Windows didnt like... at all.

So, i reset the clock, rebooted, and it was fine. I pulled the battery, and will go get a new one later.

Thanks for your help guys.