Startup problem and won't wake up

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by happyrobots, Jul 16, 2006.

1. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

I came home the other day and my computer was off (it was left on). Thought that was a little weird but tried to turn it on. It made it to the Compaq screen and stalled. Tried again, stalled. Again, stalled. Waited a few min, unplugged the new USB wireless adapter, and tried, then hit F1 to get into BIOS, stalled a minute then went into it. Everything looked fine (temp was 49C), exited and it restarted. Then it finally started up normal.

Everything was fine upon startup. Then I went to bed, woke up and the monitor automatically shut off after 15min so that was normal. Computer was on and everything, but when I moved the mouse it didn't wake up. Hit the keyboard, didn't wake up. Manual turned the monitors on (duals) and they said move mouse. So then I hit the power button on the computer.

Went through the same thing as last time. This time after I went into the BIOS and it restarted it stalled again, but then next time it worked.
    Now I'm on the computer and it works just fine.

Only thing I've done to the comp hardware was install and take out a PCI wireless card (was in for a month), and then I just got the USB wireless adapter 2 days ago. Software - I installed the PCI wireless adapter drivers and then unistalled them. Installed the USB wireless adapter drivers, and installed Acrobat Pro.

Any help is appreciated.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

overheating or mobo issue, possibly.

3. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

is 49C a temp to overheat at?

also, it's been on ever since I wrote the thread and it hasn't shut off. I did disable the power saver for the monitors, and just do it manually for now.
    why wouldn't the computer have shut off when I couldn't wake it up? I guess if it is a mobo issue it may not have.
    anyone else?