Starting Up Firefox

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KoopaTroopa, Jan 3, 2005.

1. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa OT Supporter

This just started recently. Whenever I start up Firefox, it freezes for about 15 seconds and then I can click whatever link. I reinstalled FF 1.0, virus scanned my PC, and spywared it...and Firefox still freezes up when it's started.

Could it be an extension causing a problem?

2. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

It could be an extension or another program on your system. I've had nothing but troubles with Firefox on a box running McAfee Internet Security Suite 6. As soon as I would turn that off, Firefox was loading quick as hell.

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Been using Firefox forever...never had this kind of problem. What anti-virus software do you have? Also is your PC still running when it freezes? or does it freeze the entire PC. Do you get an error message...or does it jsut crash and not report anything is amiss?

4. Grayham

Grayham New Member

What extensions are you using?

5. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Tabbrowser extension was the culprit for me.

I started a thread about it 2 days ago... guess everyone was too drunk/hungover to reply. ;)

Just start by disabling all extensions, and re-enable them one at a time. When FF goes to shit, you found the culprit.

6. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa OT Supporter

I use Norton, but now Firefox works fine for me now. Don't know what happened. I think it was when I updated the Tabbrowser extension, it started messing up the next day, but now everything works fine. I didn't do anything except the usually reboot every day.
    Another odd problem, whenever I click the "tools" and choose "options", the options window will freeze and I'll have to close it and do it again so I can go in there.

7. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Try this just for grins, to see if it is an extension or skin causing the problem
    Win2k/XPC:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\ (rename this folder to anything you want like "Firefox-mine")

Win95/98/me
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\ (rename this folder to anything you want like "Firefox-mine")

Start up FF and see if it works then. If it works just fine, then it's an extension or skin.
    If it still doesn't work, then you have problems else where. You can then delete the new Firefox folder that was created and rename your other folder back to it's original name.

8. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Make sure firefox is in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
    There are also settings in about:config that could be causing this, or they need to be set (optimized).