Starting to get great results, Try to lean now or cut later?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by patina, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patina

patina OT Supporter

I just started working out when school began (Aug. 12th) and have been going every other day (sans thanksgiving) since. I'm starting to get bigger in my shoulders, pecs, and arms. I am wondering if I should "dirty bulk" and try to gain as much weight/muscle as I can then cut in the future or if I should try to keep a good diet throughout the whole process?

I am 6'5 194 right now and I guess my somewhat near future goal is 225.

Should I eat right or try to gain then cut?

2. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Depends on what you have the ability to stick to. A lot of people dirty bulk for a good long while, enjoy food, enjoy eating, and don't worry so much about eating a clean diet and then be miserable cutting for a few months. Some people can eat a little cleaner for years on end to not gain much fat, but I'd say usually people end up giving up on this because they burn out.

I fall into the eat shitty for 8-9 months out of the year and try to clean it up 3-4. I enjoy the shit out of those 8-9 months too.

There's a cool CT article about it : http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

3. patina

patina OT Supporter

Thanks for the article man. So he basically says you gain almost 2x as much muscle per time period if you just eat right instead of bulking/cutting. Where can I find a realisitic (cost efficient) diet plan type deal?

4. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

i eat ewhatever and whenever.

I just do a rough estimate of calorie intake and try to reach 4k each day. So far i went from 175 - 195 in 6 months. Dirty bulking has put on some fat on my stomach but my strength has shot up the roof. I guess you can't have the best of both worlds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.