MMA Starting point...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by jshively, Jun 29, 2006.

1. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I have always been interesting in martial arts and a strong desire and wanting to learn how to box. My roommate and I were talking last night and he also wants to learn how the same so since I have someone to motivate and go with figured I would start looking for a place for begineers. I have no desire to actually compete just looking more for a cardio.

Couple questions:
    1) How did you find the place that you train at?
    2) What type of questions should I ask to make sure the place is good.

If anyone knows anyplace near or around Fort Wayne Indiana that is reputable I would definately take a recommendation.

Thanks!

2. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

The best thing to do is call around and when you find a place near you ask them if you can watch them for a class. When watching look for how well they teach individuals, how hard they spar and how often they have class. These things are way more important than having a "7th degree black belt sensei".

Also, a lot of martial arts places now incorporate boxing in their routines, so if you want an all around learning experience, you might be better off checking out just a general "martial arts" gym, they tend to focus on the most effective techniques instead of "if a guy punches you like this and doesn't move any other part of his body you block with your left pinky and then pinch his armpit with your right toe like this"

3. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Cool thanks. I like the idea of general martial arts gym. Time to get the yellow pages out. I also thought about just joining a straight boxing gym because talking to a couple other people they said boxing is an amazing cardio workout.

4. joechunkybutt2

Yeah boxing is hard, but so is boxing + kicking + looking out for takedowns + getting someone who weighs 200 pounds off your chest.

Just google search it "martial arts <your city>", a lot of times you'll find a smaller place that way and they may offer more 1 on 1 guidance when training. Stay away from places that only teach one martial art

5. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

Since you are interested in boxing and kickboxing you should try muay thai. It's a great cardio workout and effective as well, i tried looking for some muay thai schools in your area and this is one i found

16900 Warren Fort Wayne, Indiana 48228 313-581-5085

6. joechunkybutt2

wtf how did you find his "area"

7. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

In my first post the last sentence I put Fort Wayne, Indiana.

8. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Thank you very much I am definately going to call them today.

9. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I did the google approach and have found a lot. I also found a couple equipment places and am going to run over there this weekend and talk to them and see who they recommend.

10. joechunkybutt2

hahah i can't read