SRS Starting Over

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by machazure, Mar 3, 2005.

1. machazure

machazure New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    During my highschool days I was really shy and only had a couple of close friends. Never had a date because I never had the confidence to ask anyone out. I am a pretty attractive guy, so I dont know why I am so shy.

Heres the thing, I go to a local community college and most of the people there are people who went to my highschool or I know them already. They have their little 'groups' and people act as if they dont want to know you if they dont already. This has not helped my shyness problem around girls,although it is slowly getting better.

I have met some new friends who are more outgoing and I feel comfortable with. But, my "best friend" from high school is really starting to get on my nerves. I try to avoid him sometimes and I just dont know what to do.

I feel like I need to start over to rid my shyness problem and meet people who never knew me as being shy. Because its even harder to change an image someone already has about you.

I just dont know...any advice is appreciated.
  2. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

Sep 3, 2001
    Start slowly. You said you've already met some more friends. They'll introduce you to their friends, and then you'll get introduced to more people.

I never liked getting thrown head first into a situation that I didn't want to be in. You'll get introduced slowly into a bigger and bigger circle of friends. Just remember that because you're "new" to them, it takes some time for these new people to warm up to you.
  3. freakshow

freakshow :wackit:

Feb 16, 2005
    I was shy in high school as well. I am 33 now and any one that knows me would never say I am shy. What did it for me was that I made a decision to be different. For me to start it was as easy as just talking a little bit more to people I didn't know. A little extra idle chatter to the checker at the grocery store or to people at the mall when the opportunity was there. I was also bolstered by a move out of my smallish town to a university 4 hours away. That helped but I don't think I necessarily needed that. I was also able to help my cause by joining a professional fraternity and taking on an office there so the suggestion for social groups is a good one.

Again, for me at least it mostly a decision I made. Today I can talk to just about anyone in any situation. I actually enjoy getting up in front of groups and giving presentations and the like. It might be a bit more difficult with people that already know you that way but I was in that situation as well and the people I knew seemed to be pleasantly surprised and definitely very accepting when I started coming out of my shell a bit more. For me this was the second best thing I ever did for myself...the first was making another series of decisions and changes to just improve my image of myself. These two things together though have made me believe that life really is all about choices and you can continue to be shy or live with whatever other limitations you have or you can decide to do something about it.

Good luck to you...