SRS Starting over at the age of 27

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by horseracing, Jan 18, 2010.

1. horseracing

horseracing New Member

I messed up very badly during my twenties. Now I'm almost 27 and I'm just finishing a college diploma. I'd like to go on to do a postgraduate certificate (the program is one I'll most likely love and is just a year) but I feel like I'm just getting older and older and older... and a little bit despondent.

Does anyone have any motivational stories about "making it" later on in life? Pursuing educational goals and getting a great job? The thing is... I DO have the motivation and desire to clean up the mess I'm in but I get constant headaches over my worry about being so old and not established yet.

It doesn't help that relatives of mine have already chalked my life up to being a failure.

2. Mar10

Mar10 New Member

I finished my undergrad at 24, worked for for five years recently lost my job. Now Im going back for an mba. so 27 isnt that old (even though I thought it was when i was 27) good luck and dont stress it cause theres a ton of people that would love to be in your shoes.

3. chickenfeather

chickenfeather New Member

You're not even 30 yet, don't worry about it. However, graduating at this time is probably a really bad time because of the job market.

4. AgGoNy

AgGoNy Active Member

no worries man, im 27 and just finishing up for my bachelors and jumping right into a master's program. better late than never.

5. snapstylez

snapstylez Aleinn Á Ný

The notion that it is too late to restart or kick-start your life are merely socially conditioned beliefs that we should never let prevent us from passionate, conscious growth. This could be a new career, a new business venture, or in your case, pursuing a higher education that you are passionate about.

Set goals that make you feel empowered during this present moment. We only have control of the present, the future and the past are just illusions. When you set a goal that you are truly passionate for, motivation comes easy. Try to think of how great you will feel in 1 or 2 or 5 years from now, when you are slowly working toward that goal you're setting right now. Desire is the fuel for achieving your dreams, if there is real, passionate desire, motivation will flow freely and unbounded.

The next time you are in a clearheaded and positive mood, take a few minutes to think about your goal. Now write down something meaningful, the emotions you will feel as you're working toward it, all of the positive aspects that you know will result from your hard work. The next time you read your statements, you should be able to reach the same positive state, you will recall those powerful feelings. Read your statements often, especially the next time you are feeling fear and doubt. Keep it with you always.

Remember, you are ultimately responsible for your life. When you look into the mirror, you should love that person staring back at you, you'll be with them to the end.

6. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

I just turned 27 last week and I'm looking at starting college to get a degree.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

I finished my degree when I was 24ish, and didn't get a job in my field until I was 26ish.

Do it, and anyone who mentions your age can go fuck themselves.

And btw, I got jobs because I was older and had more real world experience than kids who just got out of college. Sure I wasn't making what other 26 year olds were who did get jobs right out of school, but I also got more than the "base" pay those recent grads would have gotten, because I wasn't young and stupid.

8. Shuffles

Shuffles Grumpy old man at heart.

Sounds like you're already making it. You turned your life around and got a college degree. Do your feelings of despondence come from comparing your life to the lives of your peers?

9. Vysion

Vysion New Member

I'm 28 and I'll probably be going back to college in my 30's to upgrade my associates degree to a bachelor's degree.

You're never too old to go to college and change your life from what it used to be.

10. BoogieKnight

BoogieKnight Active Member

This

11. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

Dude, you're 27 getting a degree. I'll be 27 getting my associates. I've learned to deal with being older than most and getting a degree because I realized I can keep living like I am with no major improvement. Or I can get a bachelors in my early 30's and possibly live really nice in my late 30's and 40's.

So the bottom line is I'd love to be in your shoes. I'm sure there are many that would love to be in my shoes.

We all will live a lot longer than our grandparents and likely parents because of the advacement of medicine. So 70 is the new 60 now, so by the time we are 60. We can be looking to live another good 20 years easily (granted no accidents or deadly diseases). But my point is if you get a degree at 35. You have 35 years until your 70 years old to try and prepare for retirement. Because in this day and age, unless your rich we will all be working to an extent into our 70's. Maybe not a 40-50 hour work week. But the way taxes are going to continue to go up and health insurance. Most of us will have to work some type of part-time job to help balance the bills.

People quit jobs so much these days you don't see the people working for the same company for 20-30 years like you used to. It's almost like in sports with free agency. Nobody stays put anymore. So while you may not get that great job for a few more years a lot of the people you'll end up working with will have just started like yourself. All these people getting jobs straight out of college probably won't be doing the same job by the time you're getting your first "career" type job.

12. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

How does that work? I'll be getting my associates soon and I plan on taking no less than 1 semester off (just to trasnfer properly and have a break) if that.

What about your situation though? When there is a gap between colleges?

13. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

I imagined you reading this while the music in your AV was playing in the background.

To the OP, you should know by now it's never too late. Plus, of all the education you can get, industry certificates are among the best bang for your buck.

14. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I fucked up my young adult life and dropped out of school at 20. I worked trade for 5 years and got my head on straight, and returned to university at 25. I've since excelled, due to both my renewed motivation and my learned work ethic. In my second year I got a summer job on a project which led to several publications, and I've been given several invitations to go work with prominent figures for grad school once I graduate.

I'm hoping to go to princeton to get my doctorate. My life is definitely far better off than it was before I went to univ, even though I won't be finished my undergraduate degree until I'm 29

15. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

:werd: It's amazing the difference real life experience makes.

16. Gloire

Gloire New Member

I've just remembered the fuss that was made a few years ago about the oldest graduate student, if I remember right, it was a woman that was around 95 and just about to earn a degree in general studies. The point is, I don't think that there is a suitable age that people should be at so they could join college or get a degree, after all we're nothing but students in this life until the time we pass away .. joining a college just give us an official title and that's about it.

Go for it, it's never late, besides 27 is not old by any means.

17. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

I'm 29, and while I could continue walking my current professional path, I've considered going back to college/university for additional classes... or even another diploma/degree entirely if I'm not satisfied with the work I'm doing or will be doing in the near future.

I'd rather "truly get started" when I'm older, but considerably happier, than remain in something that I don't enjoy at all.

And like one of the previous fellows mentioned, the coming decades will bring forth many revolutions in biology, chemistry, robotics, nanotechnology and ... medicine. Choose a path you're happy with.

18. wayno

wayno New Member

I didn’t finish my under grad degree until I was 32. I was making good money at the time, but wanted to move up the ladder. Even in a ‘show me’ economy, a diploma goes a long way, and I wanted to stand out. I finished my MA three years later while working full time, and that plus my experience opened a lot of doors.

Going back to school in your late twenties is a non-issue. I commend you for taking the initiative.

19. teo

teo . => ? => !

It's not about age. It's about attitude. The 50yo guy who's motivated and interested is going to do better than the 30yo guy who's just in it for the paycheck.

20. Vysion

Vysion New Member

I'm not sure how the transfer will work with such a long gap between when I earned my associates degree 10 years ago. I am almost certain I will probably just have to start from square one and go to college for another 4 years.

I was content with my associates degree back then. It wasn't until I had several years under my belt in the work force that I found out that people look down on associates degrees. I should have went for a bachelors degree when I was younger.

But that's life. You learn from your mistakes and you move on.

21. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I'm sure you'd get transfer credit for at least some of your courses. At the very least, the general ed requirement. Maybe not two years, but probably three instead of four. If you bust your ass and take spring/summer classes, you could easily finish in two.

22. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

I hear that a lot about associate degrees too. I almost decided to stop going to school a couple semesters ago but I was so close to getting my associates I thought I should finish it up.

Is it really going to make a difference in my life that I have an associates? Probably not.

But if I did not get my associates then all the money and time I spent getting all but 6 credits to graduate would have been for nothing. At least now I can put on an applicate that I did get an associates as opposed to nothing at all. Maybe if I'm one of the 5 people who management has to decide on to hire-the associates could be a tie breaker.

I plan on getting my bachelors though.

23. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

Good thread so far. Just giving props. Lots of bro-love being spread around.

I've heard more than a couple stories about people who are in their 30's, 40's, and even 50's going back to school and making a success go at their new career. one that sticks out was about this 40-something guy who was unhappy in his career (he was a salesman or something) who went back to school to do engineering. ended up with a nice gig and is a lot happier even though he was pushing 50 when the restart was complete. like a lot of people here are saying, life experience goes a long way.

i'm kind of in the same boat. considering going back to school for chemistry but I hate the idea of more debt from tuition. it really kills me :/

24. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

So work while going to school :dunno:

25. HalfPastGone

HalfPastGone OT Supporter

i'm 24 and am going to a community college to get a 2nd bachelor's degree :sad2: