starting old truck?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Didact, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Didact

Didact I have no idea what I'm doing

starting old truck?

Anyone have any ideas how to prep a truck engine for startup?

77 F-150, 140k on original engine, hasn't been started in well over a year -- and it was hard to crank it over a year ago.

I heard there was a way to circulate the oil a little before crank-up to avoid damage?

2. matrix243

matrix243 Earn this. Earn it.

Pre-oiling can be done two ways.

1) The simple way, is done by just disconnecting the coil from the - terminal, and then cranking the engine over till desired oil circulation is achieved.

2)The way I do it, is by taking an old distributor and gutting it right out only to have just the shaft. Remove existing distributor and drop in shaft and propel shaft using drill till desired oil circulation is achieved.

The bad thing about just cranking it over is that the bearings will be spinning dry until your oil pressure is brought up. Thats why it's best to prime the pump and circulate the oil first.

I'd also recommend siphoning out the old gas and filling it with new if not already done. Plugs should be cleaned or replaced too.

3. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

number 2 is a good option, thats also how you prime a motor when you rebuild it, just a simple bit of common knowledge.