starting off weak and finishing strong in work outs

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by The Ripper, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

When Im lifting in the gym consistently Im having this issue that I dont see other people having. I will come in and the weight Im at on the first set will be extremely hard to do on my first set. When the secound set comes around I will be able to do it easier but I still have to push. Then when I get to my last set I blow through the weight and it feels light.

Wtf am I doing wrong? It mainly happens when I do my shoulder work outs but it has happened to me when I do chest as well.

2. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Try warming up.

3. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

A freind of mine said it might be form and as I go through the work out my form gets better so I can lift more weight. I have thought maybee its warming up as well. Tomorrow I do chest so I guess I will do a warm up set with the bar or something light before I hit the weights and see what happens.

Im going to attempt a warm up set next week when I hit up shoulders again and see how my shoulders react to it.

4. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

Happens to me if I dont wait long enough after eating.

5. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

Yeah, I'd call warm up as well. After the first few your body is getting enough blood through it.

6. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

biochemistry is a bit rusty, but i think it takes awhile for your muscles to access glycogen stores and convert them into glucose after you start exercising. so yes, what everyone else says, warmup first

7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

so in terms of warm up what do you guys suggest, should I do like 15 mins of cardio to get a pump going or do a warm up set

8. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I usually do a set of 20 with minimal weight, and then another @ 60% of my working weight with the same rep range as the working weight.

9. Memor

Memor Active Member

Nah, just work up to whatever you're doing. Usually 5 mins on the elliptical will get you feeling like you might start sweating, then hop off, do some mobility stuff, then if you're going to OH Press for example with your first heavy set at 145, do the Bar for 15 reps, then 85x10, 105x5, 115x3, 135x1, then do your heavy stuff. Sometimes you can do less, sometimes more, it depends on the person. Figure out how much warmup your body needs to get going at 100%. You'll feel a lot better.

10. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

:werd:
    This is pretty much the warmup rep scheme I follow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.