Starting new job...need good books on VS.Net, specifically VC++

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jkuao, May 6, 2005.

1. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Just signed my paperwork on a software engineer position...it's my first real development job and its for a Fortune 500 w/ heavy Microsoft product leanings. I have virtually no experience w/ C#, Visual C++, VB, or real Microsoft based development (Maybe that's why I didn't get the MS SDE job). My experience in Visual Studio is mostly limited to C and mostly for console based projects and openGL rather than anything using the visual environments.

I do have solid experience developing Visual Java projects in Eclipse, C, relational databases, and lots of OO software design education but I need some good book suggestions to get me started in VC++ before I start so I don't get my ass fired before I can get going.

They do know I'm limited in my experience but I think my college pedigrees made them take the gamble so I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I live up to what they're paying me. I start in 10 days part-time before going full time when I graduate in Aug so time is a factor.

Any help is appreciated.

2. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

congrats, how much are they paying you?

3. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

53k w/o bonus...and a ~7% bonus on avg. Undergrad CS degree without any internships. We don't have a very high cost of living down here in suburban Atl so a lot of companies low ball you especially for non-developer roles. Some companies balked at the 40-45k point so this is pretty good for me.

They must have read my mind or this post since they sent me a suggested reading.