MMA Starting Muay Thai

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by n99nyrwg, Sep 5, 2006.

1. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

I'm doing BJJ and Muay Thai Kickboxing. BJJ I've already done here and there a few times, so I have a gi. For Muay Thai I don't have anything and it's required we have our own stuff for the class. I don't have the full list of things we need with me, but I'm sure you guys are familiar with the types of equipment that will be needed.

I can buy it off the school I train at, but I figure it won't be very good quality since they are selling it to make a profit on top of who they bought it off of who was trying to make a profit. So if I just buy straight from a store I'll get better quality at the same price.

So any recommendations on where to buy Muay Thai stuff, or recommendations of brands?

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

www.mmamuscle.com

Windy gear or CSI gear really cheap. I found them through Sherdog and Paul (the owner) is a good guy who has gone out of his way to really help with every question. It's the best gear site for good prices and good service I have ever used, and I've used alot. I have made about 2 full orders with Paul, and have 2 more in the process of being shipped to me.

But first... even if you use some of the gear provided by the gym to get started, the very first pieces you need are a cup and mouthgaurd. You can get those for a few bucks at any local sports shop. Also check out the gear at your gym. You may think they are trying to pull a profit, but that profit might not be very much at all and they may get a school discount to be able to provide it to you cheap. Plus you don't have to wait for shipping.

I doubt you would be expected to come to class in full sparring gear from headgear to shinpads. My instructor used to tell us, that even if you are strapped for cash, it was a good idea to try and purchase one "major" item a month if you wanted to do Muay Thai long term. Headgear, Boxing gloves, Shingaurds, Thai pads, Thai shorts. All about $50-100 each depending on where you get them. Add that on to tuition, and that is asking alot to just start taking classes.

3. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

Do you see anything wrong with starting BJJ and Muay Thai at the same time? I read a post on here earlier saying you should concentrate on one at first.

4. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I started both at the same time and then focused more on MT, but that was just what I was looking for at the time. I don't see any problem at doing both. If anything I would start BJJ first if I had a chance to do it again.

5. Pommy

Pommy Pose. Click. Fashion

I do muay thai (the ancient style) and prolly gonna start bjj soon.

6. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Reason? Just curious.

7. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

I was just gonna call you out as BS, but then I saw you are located in BKK. That's cool.

8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

We are starting to add it into our program next year. Muay Thai with big swords ftw.

9. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

You mean Krabi Krabong?

Direct from Wikipedia : Muay Boran, which translates to "Ancient Boxing", is the predecessor to Muay Thai. The aim of Muay Boran is to help a warrior survive a battle after he has lost his weapons (until this time, he will use a style known as Krabi Krabong); its style is quite efficient, in that it maximizes the amount of damage that every blow can leverage, and effective, in that it can easily lead to the death or serious injury of the opponent.

Various techniques in Muay Boran are forbidden in present-day Muay Thai tournaments and competitions. Even in Thailand it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a school willing to teach it; they prefer to focus on "modern" Muay Thai, as this is more easily exploitable as a form of income. Today many schools who claim to offer Muay Boran just teach Muay Thai and sell it under the name of Muay Boran.

Traditionally, Muay Boran was not well-known in the West outside a small circle of practitioners. The art was featured in the 2003 Thai film Ong Bak starring Tony Jaa. Tony Jaa has learned Muay Korat (one of Muay Born).

The ancient boxing was very violent and intended to kill the enemy (the Burmese, or whoever).

10. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Both, since my instructor is a PMA (philipino martial arts... weapons) maniac as well.

And half the new people that come into our school now asking to learn "Ong Bak". I still haven't seen it yet.

11. Pommy

Pommy Pose. Click. Fashion

Yup, half Thai here. Just wanted to carry on tradition rather than do the ring sport type of muay thai (kick boxing) which is all watered down.
    great for conditioning though!