Starting cyclic keto, what else should I read?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by xpinchx, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I browsed through this post and got a lot of good info:
    http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/forums/nutrition/2156-cdk-cyclical.html

Anything else? I was thinking of doing PSMF but opted for something less drastic. Neither me nor my SO are religious but we both decided to do something for lent. She wanted to give up fast food (including shitty restaurant's food) and I jokingly said I'd give up carbs. I don't think I have the willpower to never eat pizza or drink a couple beers on the weekend, so CKD sounds like it should work fine for me.

I've read that keto diets can kill your energy, but is it mainly physical fatigue or does it make you sleepy too? I have work long overnight shifts and that would suck to be even more tired than I already am. I have access to ephedrine and I've done EC before, but I also take adderall and don't want to take too many stimulants. Would adderall work okay in replace of EC?

I'll be lifting 3x a week as well, I've always done the standard 5x5 but I might I might come up with my own routine depending on how my energy levels are...

Any other advice is welcome at this point... I'm going to start tomorrow, but for tonight I'm ordering some pizza and my SO is getting some Pączkis. :coold:

2. xpinchx

And if anyone has recommendations for macro intakes, I'm 6'5", about 230lbs dry weight, and my BF% is probably pretty high I would estimate about 25%-ish. Also I'm open for ideas for snacks and/or anything to make chicken or tuna more interesting. Also what supplements should I be taking? I have multivitamin, whey, and fish oil caps right now... any others?

And one last question, how much weight should I expect to lose in 6 weeks? I'm pretty bloated looking right now so I think a lot of water weight will be coming off right away... Also I want to get down to about 190 before I attempt to bulk, so about 40-45 lbs of weight loss. Should I expect to have loose skin? I'm 22 if that matters.

3. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

Iron Addict
    palumbo's version of a keto diet

For 200 lb bodybuilder
    Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
    Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
    Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter
    Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
    Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
    Meal 6 6 whole eggs
    all meals interchangable

4. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

my question is I thought that lent was something that was seven days a week and not a cyclic not-on-the-weekends kind of thing

does she get to eat fast food on the weekends too?

5. xpinchx

No carbs for 6 weeks would be hell, the carb thing only started the idea so technically I should say I'm giving up over-indulgence for lent, or something like that. :dunno:

6. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

No carb isn´t bad at all after the first 2 weeks. I was on pure keto with no carb ups at all from feb to sept of 07 and I lost 110lbs and lifted 3 days a week on a 5x5 program just fine.

I still eat keto pretty much although I do eat carbs on workout days sometimes. But I have perfectly fine energy eating under 100g of carbs a day. The best advice I can give you is not to carb up at all or do small carb ups ONLY if you are basically dying from a lack of energy, and even then you should wait till you get through the first 3 weeks without one. I have seen tons of people claim keto didn´t work for them after stuffing their faces with 15,000 calories of pure junk every weekend.

7. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

~2500 cals
    120-140g's fat
    0-40g's carbs
    250-300g's protein

supplements: fiber therapy!

8. ralyks

ralyks New Member

When I did it for a few weeks I found that ~20g for lunch and a gatorade pre-workout helped me stay on track, all other meals/times were 0 carb. The 20g at lunch usually came in the form of dressing on a salad or something else to sweeten the food.

Avoiding the carbs during the day so I could have it pre-work out was a biggy for me. BCAAs were a lifesaver.

9. CrackityJones

:werd: on the bcaa's, not sure if you'd stay in keto on 70g's of carbs per day. and to avoid ANY carbs for the rest of the day you'd have to cut out eggs, egg whites, any nuts, any veggies.. just meat & oil.

10. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I was working manual labour :fawk:

I was still getting veggies/eggs etc. I don't think there are carbs in eggs?

Eating bacon was om nom nom.

11. CrackityJones

yeah fuck that on keto, I get dizzy as fuck after workouts especially if I follow up w/cardio. yeah there is about .6g's of carbs per egg :o. seems negligible but they add up.

12. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Bah that's negligible, I would only have 4-6/day. I don't recall doing any cardio on PSMF. Most of my meals were chicken, steak, tuna and salad/veggies, or a whole chicken.

Was taking Yohimbine HCL in the mornings without any side effects either. I never thought about it but perhaps the PSMF was a reason why.

13. CrackityJones

:cool: how long were you on it and how much bf did you drop? how lean did you get?

14. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Lyle says technically ketosis is maintained at under 100g a day

15. CrackityJones

:eek3: nice. got any links to his info? Palumbo's shit was pulled off of MD :dunno:.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  16. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I've always been fairly lean but it took me down a percentage or two and I seem to recall maintaining my weight after the initial water loss. I probably started around 10% and wound up around 8% after 2-3weeks, ~180lbs @ 6'2.

17. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Bacon + protein w/ coffee and cream every fucking day. Chug it down.

18. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

So the 20-40g level is just "more" ketosis?

19. NUDES

NUDES New Member

I guess so. I don't really know.. Lyle is all "technical". I read this on bodyrecomp like 3 years ago lol.

20. Ribbie

Ribbie OT Supporter

According to this article I should be roughly 3200 cal's for maintaining my weight, and 2700 should start the cut. Seems rather high to me no?

21. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Not at all. Depending on your genetics/hormones/activity level/etc you could easily maintain at 3200. It doesn't mean it's right though.

3200-2700 = 500cal/day deficit
    500cal*7days=3500 cals, or 1 lb of fat.

22. Ribbie

Ribbie OT Supporter

Here's my convoluded math:

218 lbs
    18% BF

= 179 lbs LBM

= 39 lbs fat weight

179g’s protein

x4 for protein calories= 716

15xBW= 3270 Cal’s Maint weight…

3270-500 = 2720 Cals cutting

2720-716 = 2004 Cals

2004/9 (9 calories / fat gram)= 223 fat grams

seems super high

23. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Bump the protein up to 250g, some of it will be converted to carbs via ketosis anyways.
    You'll get in 50g of carbs in some way or another, whether it's seasoning or something sweet to tide you over for another day.

That's 1200cals so far. That means you're looking at 1520 cals in fat, or 169g. It won't be that hard with oil-based dressing for salad, fish oils, maybe peanut butter, and the fats that normally come with protein like eggs and steak.

24. ralyks

ralyks New Member

BTW some whipped creams are pure fat. om nom nom.

25. Ribbie

Ribbie OT Supporter

Thanks for the input. :cool:

This week I'm just focused on inputting everything to foot day and trying to adjust to the new foods (yams, egg whites early am etc). Next week I'll adjust it as necessary. I can always double scoop some protein shakes to get my protein up. 30g/ scoop in the isolate I use with 130 cals 1g carbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.