MMA Starting classes again tonight

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by VanCandy, Jun 25, 2009.

1. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

Starting bjj against tonight. I'd taken about 6 months when I lived down in texas but that was like 2 years ago. Starting again tonight at a place pretty close to me that Bausk suggested. :noes:

2. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

Did you go to Pittman's in lubbock? I took about a year and a half there and am debating on going back. Don't wanna get started there again and then finally find a job elsewhere though. Great instructor, wish he used the traditional belt system though.

3. cswfighter

cswfighter New Member

Get ready to throw up :naughty:

4. prophit

prophit OT Supporter

What kind of belt system do they use? Any idea why they decided to forgo the traditional ranks? :dunno:

5. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

I did

and I dunno about his belt system. He was trained over in dallas by one of the machados but I dont remeber which.

6. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Isn't Draculino in Houston?

7. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

I know he's done seminars at Pittman's, but I dont know where hes located normally. And it looks like I wont be attending class tonight. My uncle just called and told me they got approved for his new house and I told him I'd help him move since he just had some surgery. Looks like thats what I'll be doing for the next week or so. So next week I start classes. :hs: (but at least I'll have some extra cash to pay for classes)

8. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

yes

9. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Carlos Machado

Flew down there to train a while back. He's an encyclopedia.

10. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

I never really asked him. It kind of confused me. Basically it went:

white - yellow - orange - green - blue - purple - brown - red :)hsugh:) - black.

You went up in rank by obtaining a certain amount of black stripes (increasing by rank) for attending class and being there on "stripe day." When you got a red stripe you were eligible to advance at the next testing day. Very "McDojo" if you ask me. I do not know if he is still using the same system.

However, he is a legit Carlos Machado black belt and you get great instruction at the school. That is why the belt system perplexed me a bit. I believe a Pittman BB transferred to Machado's school and now calls himself a brown belt under Machado, but black in Pittman's system.

11. ZZex

ZZex New Member

I'd be so weirded out if I told people I was a red belt in BJJ... Either way, as long as it's taught from a legit BB I guess.

12. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Flying armbar everyone you see let those fuckers know youre legit.

13. ZZex

ZZex New Member

and if that fails, leg lock em. Show em who's the man. You've trained before, you should know better. Good luck

14. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:bowdown:

15. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

Yeah, i kinda wondered if they revert to traditional for tournaments becuase they are broken up by belt correct? Definitely wouldnt want to roll down to brazil as basically a brown belt while rocking a red belt around :rofl:

Just crossed my mind that before BJJ he was competitive in full contact karate tournaments and i believe an instructor in that for a while as well. That may have some influence on the belt system he uses. He got into BJJ while he was at a Royler Gracie seminar a long time ago and got put in his place when Royler asked if anyone wanted to do some NHB sparring. Drove from Lubbock to Dallas like 5 times a week after that to train with Machado until he got his black belt.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009