Starting a diet today....

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Wolverine, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolverine

Wolverine Active Member

6'3 and 287

Plan on eating 5 small meals a day. Planning on avoiding bread, pasta and rice. Drinking lots of water and iced green tea (w/ Splenda).

Taking Xenadrine NRG to help control my appetite.

Any other pointers???

2. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

Low carb diets are a fad, you need carbs for energy and can easily lose alot of weight by simply expending more calories than you take in. 287lbs is pretty big, you could drop 100lbs easy on a simple caloric deficit.

3. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

Is this the first time you are starting a new diet?

What I did when I started my diet was cut out sugar as much as possible. If I desperately need a coke or something, I try to make it a coke zero or diet. I probably drink less than 1 per day. Make sure you eat breakfast every morning. I tend to eat 1 cup of total and whole milk. It really helped me through the morning. I also still drink quite a bit of coffee, but I don't use sugar. I guess I am addicted to aspartame.

I would also start a mild workout routine if you can. If you aren't working out right now, you won't see results as fast as you would like. Yes, you can loose weight by diet alone, but the pounds will literally melt away by working out.

Start with something easy like an elliptical machine and work out until you can't feel your legs anymore. Try to go at least 10 minutes your first time. Finish the rest of your time with stretches and mild weight lifting. You really don't have to exert yourself, but give it a small effort and it will pay off.

I lost 2 pounds a week for 3 months when I was doing that. Since my weight is down to a reasonable level I have been working on shedding off the last few pounds of fat and the work gets exponentially more difficult. But now it feels real good to work out, so its not a problem.

4. Marijuanair

cutting out soda is HUGE, I read that the average American would lose like 11lbs a year if they switched to diet soda, 120 calories a pop add up.

5. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

Cutting out sugar is huge too. I think if you just stopped having sugar in your morning coffee its something like 5lbs a year.

6. Marijuanair

yea, splenda ftw (I dont even have anything I would add splenda or sugar too, so I didnt think about it)

When I was a little kid, I would grab those "Sugar in the raw" packets from restraunts and eat tons of sugar, I was also a fatty :hs:

7. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

No, they're not a fad. Any diet with a calorie deficit will cause weight loss but low-carb diet promote both fat loss and muscle sparing more than any other diet.

8. Marijuanair

anyone who is going to actually workout is going to live a shitty life if they try to low carb it. if I dont get a reasonable amount of carbs even on my off days I feel like shit. limiting carbs is different from doing something like Atkins. if he's cutting out bread, rice, and pasta it sounds like that is what he's going for.

9. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

He can get plenty of carbs from fruits and veggies... Charles Poliquin also put his athletes on very-low-carb diets and they seem to perform well, but your body has to take some time to adjust to it before going back to the same level. It takes one month apparantly to get back to the same level of performance. But well, if your body still uses carbs for fuel and you spot getting some then yeah, you'll have no evergy. But normal people have a diet so high in carbs that they can "limit" their intake to a lower level to permit a higher protein intake. If we weren't eating 200+ g of protein a day, most of us would be on the normal 400g of carbs a day diet.

10. Marijuanair

how low are we talking on a low(er) carb diet? not like under 300g right?

Also, I love wheat bread/pasta and brown rice, I get alot of my carbs that way.

11. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

My high-carbs days are around 300 g of carbs :hs: There's no exact definition of low-carb. But if you were wondering about Poliquin's athletes, he gets them on >50g of carbs a day, I guess it could be considered a very-low-carb diet since it's probably a ketogenic diet. A good definition of low carb could be less than your bodyweight in grams, or maybe less than 100-150 g a day.
    These diets tend to be easier to follow since food that contain carbs are usually the one which we overeat.

12. Marijuanair

Christ, less than 50g of carbs? See, when I think of the fad low-carb diets that put you around that little amount of carbs a day, I picture your average, everyday lazy ass soccer mom who's only cardio is the walk from the couch to the kitchen. People doing weight training and reasonable amounts of cardio wouldnt be able to last on something like that for very long, just like body builders near competion time who take in no carbs feel compeltely drained.

13. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

did you know that splenda has 100 calories per cup and 4 calories per little packet? The first ingredient in splenda is maltodextrin. shouldn't be an issue with normal usage, but some people use that shit like crazy.

14. Marijuanair

Actually I thought it was calorie free :dunno:

I never use it, I dont even drink diet soda. I drink LOTS of water, some skim milk, and reduced calorie OJ from time to time. On rare occations I'll have crystal lite.

15. Chris3G

they're allowed to say the packets are calorie-free because it has < 5. Sucralose, the sweetener in splenda, is calorie-free, but you'd have to dilute it yourself if you buy it.

16. Marijuanair

I guess that makes sence... they post 0 calories on diet sodas.

I was wondering, if there are like a set amount of calories per gram of fat, carb, and protein, how can some things like veggies in a can say 0 cals when they have like 3g carbs? makes no sence.

17. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

When you go to less than 50 grams of carbs per day, your body begins to utilize fat as its primary fuel. After about 7-10 days you begin to feel better. Fat is a much better source of fuel because it has 9 cal per gram as compared to carbs which has 4 cal per gram. You'll feel fine as long as you keep your fat intake up with healthy fats such as nuts, olive oil, all natural peanut butter, avacado's ect. After all we have essential amino's and essential fats but there is no such thing as an essential carb. This is the way that our bodies were made to eat.

18. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

People who get on a low-carb diet lack energy because their body uses (mainly) glucose for fuel. After some time without too much carb and on a high-fat diet, the body switches to ketone bodies for fuel, but it takes some time for that to happen and can lead to a greater acidic blood profile which isn't perfect for the long term. Low-carb diets also have a good effect on some other markers of cardiovascular health, triglycerides being one of them because it's metabolized from glucose by your liver (yeah, lowering carbs from your diet can lower some of the hyperlipidemic problems :eek3: ). I made my father drop most of his high-GI sugar intake, and by just cutting the 1-2 glasses of OJ he was used to have everyday, his triglyceride levels dropped by 50%.

19. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I like you already :cool:

20. Chris3G

4 calories per gram of carbohydrate , 4 cals / g protein, 9 cals / g fat.

and fiber is technically a carbohydrate but it contains no calories as far as the body is concerned, because it isn't digestible. So that's what's going on with the vegetables.

21. Marijuanair

really?

I guess I stand corrected. Why arent more athletes on a high fat/low carb diet though? Serious question.

A side note: I love carbs, they are my biggest weakness. fine breads, pastas, baked goods, potatoes, rice :yum:

22. Marijuanair

I thought those numbers were right for the protein, fat, and carbs, I just didnt want to post it cause I wasnt sure, I remember leaning that like 5 years ago in one of my classes in highschool.

23. Marijuanair

I'm going to be taking nutrition classes this coming semester, I'm pretty close to my accoiates degree too, so I might get that then work on a nutrition major. Since I decided to change my life last year and eat right and exercise I've been very dedicated to learning and doing the healthy thing. I think I might enjoy nutrition for a career, it might help me stay focused throughout my life too. I've never been in better shape in my life:bigthumb:

24. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Many athletes tend to eat like shit anyway, usually a typical high fat/high carb north american diet. They have to have a high cal intake since they spend so much energy and it's so much easier to get energy from a high carb diet. I also only heard about Poliquin putting athletes on a ketogenic diet, other sports nutrition consultants (such as Berardi) advocate a more normal approach and normal nutritionists still advocate a high-carb/low-fat/low-protein diet, which isn't worth shit for anyone.

25. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Well, what bodybuilding/sports nutrition tells you isn't what you're going to see in classes. Nutrition for the masses is still going strong on the high-carb, low-fat diet which is supposed to fight hyperlipidemic profiles yet people get fatter, have more lipid problems and this kind of diet tend to promote insulin resistance since it's almost only carbs thus helping people make their way to diabetes...
    Edit : yeah, if you're interested in nutrition, check out http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/ which talks a lot about low-carb diets and spend some time on PubMed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.