starting a detailing business

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by ff, Apr 2, 2003.

1. ff

ff Guest

I posted a topic like this in off-topic a few weeks ago, but got little response. Things do tend to dissapear quickly in there... Don't know why I didn't think to do it in here instead. :slap:

Anyways, I'm looking for help on starting a detailing business here in town. Washing, polishing, waxing, interior, etc... I travel to customers and do the work at their home. BTW, I'm a high school student, so I figured self-employment would be a better route than continuing the serving job I've had for over a year now (sick of it, too many schedule conflicts with school, etc). Some students here do lawns, and I'm the first to think of doing detailing. So proud of myself, heh..

As I think Scottwax is the only detailer on here with a business, I'm sure most of these questions will apply to him.

What do you guys recommend for marketing? Flyers, door to door, going to office parks, etc? How did you build up your customer base? Basically, gimme suggestions and any other advice on getting business and promoting. Any help appreciated!

So far, I've put out close to 350 flyers in two neighborhoods, with a few responses, but not enough to justify the cost of 350 flyers..

I'm sure there's 50 questions more I could ask that I just don't know about -- feel free to offer those, too. Thanks alot for the help!

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Honestly, your best bet is to register at www.autopia.org and do a forum search in the professional detailer's forum. Poke around, pretty much everything you'd want to know is in there. Anything specifically you can't find, add the questions to this thread.

3. ff

ff Guest

great link scott --

I had run across that site before but never got registration to work for me, but it is working now, so all's well. Thanks

4. justbrowsing

justbrowsing OG forum lurker

Go to local businesses where the owner/manager/employees have nice cars. Usually Small business offices like real estate offices, insurance agents office. etc...Go every Friday and see if they want their car's washed/waxed for them. You might become a regular to them and get to wash their car every friday. Usually Friday because thats when people just got their paychecks and maybe want to spiff up their car before the weekend when they dont have time.

I know this because I work in an insurance agents office and their's these hispanic guys that wash our cars for us every friday.

5. Scottwax

Golf courses are a good place to hit also. Takes 3-4 hours to play 18 holes, more than enough time for a wash and wax. Talk to the manager of the course and see if detailing would be a service they would like to offer their members. You might want to put together a portfolio of cars you've detailed so they can see your work.

6. Scottwax

7. Jspec180

Jspec180 New Member

here is a really noob question for you, what would you charge starting out?

8. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Please search before you post. :)