A&P Starting a Canon kit set

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Fearan, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Fearan

Fearan Guest

I'm planning on getting a 40D soon and am trying to figure out which lenses to get. My glass budget is around 2k.
    I've been hearing only good about the 70-200/f2.8 IS, is it worth the extra price over a non IS or 4.0?
    Then I'm torn for a lens with shorter focal length. Should I get a 17-55 IS or 24-70? The price is pretty similar, so what are the advantages of both? Also, how much better are the IS lenses?
    And is it a bad idea to get 2 lenses with totally different focal ranges? What do you recommend?

2. Spurious

Spurious New Member

First, your budget is good, you've come prepared, that's half the battle.

You have good lens choices, no shitty glass, but before I can give you educated recommendations I'm going to need to know exactly what you intend to be shooting.

3. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Landscape and action-portraits (family). Maybe the 70-200 is a bit overkill for portrait photography, but might as well just jump right in?

4. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Or another possibility, wait until I know more what I need andjust get a 24-105 f/4 IS? Except this seems like it wouldn't be very good for indoor shots?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2008
  5. Spurious

Spurious New Member

It's a tough call with the telephotos, they're all really good lenses. It's a choice between the 2.8L and the 4L IS, as I really don't think you need the 2.8IS. Personally I'd go with the 2.8L because I'd much rather shoot faster than have IS, but it's really debatable. But the Non-IS F4L is also a really good lens and will be really easy on your budget, it's a little slow and you may have trouble using it indoors, but when are you going to be using it indoors anyway.

As for your standard zoom of those two I'd go with the 17-55IS, you're really going to want that 17mm when doing landscapes. A comparable, yet half the price lens is Tamron 17-50mm, it's slightly sharper but has more barrel distortion, CA and vignetting. Nothing you would probably notice though if you get a good copy. The Canon is more baller, the Tamron is more economical.

If you're going to be doing portraits consider snatching up a 50mm 1.8, Canon's cheapest lens is also one of it's sharpest, they can be had for as little as $70. On a crop body it's a great portrait lens and will give you creamy bokeh (background blur) and also lets you shoot indoors with more ease.

Have you thought at all about lighting? When I started I thought I'd be all about the natural light, but sometimes you really find yourself limited.

6. Fearan

Fearan Guest

I don't think I'll be doing that much indoor photography, so you just sold me on the Non-IS F4L.

I'll check out the 50mm too. :big grin:

For lighting, I just had a standard flash in mind. $300 range.

Thanks for the help!

7. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Good, it's a great lens and I think it's going to do everything you need it to.

Oncamera flash is an option, and a simple one. It's also easier to learn as the flash does most of the work, but isn't very flexible. The Canon 430EX is what you should look at, it's about $250.

You should consider having a look at http://strobist.com. Off camera flash is versatile, even outdoors and can let you capture images you wouldn't get any other way. It also has a massive and helpful community on flickr that posts hundreds of images a day, most with light specs. A basic setup including manual flash is about $200 total.

If I were you I'd go with the 430EX now and then move on to a strobist setup later.

8. nastyboy132

nastyboy132 New Member

no. buy it, love it. try not to let your gf find you trying to mount it.

other than that, i'd say the 24-70 because it's pure sex, but the problem with that is it isn't going to be wide enough for most landscapes. you need wider, especially after factoring in the crop. tough call.

9. nastyboy132

nastyboy132 New Member

I have the 70-200 f4L too...and it's kickass. I find it sharper wide open than the 2.8 IS- but sometimes you need the 2.8, and more than that for some stuff the IS is priceless. 200mm at iso100 the shutter speeds can get sketchy. IS isn't going to help you much for action stuff, but for everything else it's ftw.

10. Fearan

Fearan Guest

I might get a 15-50mm 2.8 $300, 24-105 f/4 IS $1100, 70-200 f/4 $600, 50mm 1.8 $70, almost right on my budget. How does that sound?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2008
  11. Fearan

Fearan Guest

I like this off-camera flash idea. Why not get that first and on-camera later? The built-in on the 40D is not to bad.

12. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

built-in flash is crap. it's not going to work with any of the bigger lenses.

i have the 24-70 and 70-200 f4IS, and love 'em both.

i don't use the 70-200 very often, but the 24-70 rarely comes off my camera.

i probably use my 10-22 the remainder of the time.

i got the 17-85 IS with the camera, and it's a fun lens. it takes good indoor shots.

get an external flash for sure

13. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

My lens plans (next 6 mos):

Tokina 12-24
    24-70
    70-200 F4

Take that for what you will.

However, make sure you fit in the 430EX, it was the best buy i've made so far.