starter removal

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by giblit, Sep 23, 2004.

1. giblit

giblit OT Supporter

hi im having trouble removing my starter in my 1997 f150 4.6L v8. im not quite sure on how to remove it properly, ive looked online and i cant find instructions on how to do it.

2. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I have the same exact truck but have never removed the starter. What exactly do you have questions about? Personally I'm hesitant to change mine as the bolts are all rusted up. Why are you changing yours? Is it bad? How many miles on your truck?

3. giblit

giblit OT Supporter

the brushes are worn out, it has 71,000 miles on it and i have to get under it and tap the solinoid everytime i want to start it.

4. giblit

giblit OT Supporter

i was hoping for something online so i dont have to drive it and have to get undernieth it and start it. but what ev ill throw down some bones for it.

5. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I don't think there is really anything online. I've looked at all the F150 sites I know of for articles and there are none. Hard to believe your starter is going out, my truck has 140,000+ miles and no problems with the starter. I have had to replace the alternator, battery and positive battery cable. Now I have to replace the negative battery cable. Let me warn you the only place to get the cables is a Ford dealer and they are expensive.
    So the best advice is get a Hayne's manual, I use mine all the time.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

my ford factory cd is scratched other wise id print of the dealer tech sheet for it
    check ebay get teh full service manual

but it is just a stater shount be that hard to take off