MMA Started to take some private lessons from a boxing coach at my gym...how can I max?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Unknown User, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

How can I maximize on the experience? I take MT and decided to polish up my boxing skills by taking private lessons. I took my first lesson this past Friday and we corrected and tweaked lots of little things.

Learned some good footwork and corrected my jab/cross combo along w/ my stance. I was disappointed that my MT class instruction didn't correct these during class. I'm hoping to get a couple per month.

How would you recommend that I take full advantage of my few private hours of training w/ a boxing coach? Any recommendations are welcome :)

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

not all boxing translates to MT or MMA. make sure you know why you are taking it.

other than that, give it 100%

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

The focus of Muay Thai is not Boxing (punching). So it's not reasonable to expect a Muay Thai coach to correct your Boxing unless he is also a Boxing coach.

Work on the constant transition between "Boxing stance" and "Kicking stance" in Muay Thai. If you are learning for Muay Thai; because like what checkii said it is again different when you apply to MMA. Depending on what you are throwing. It also my depend on your coaches Muay Thai "style".

4. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Punch mechanics and footwork are the two biggest things youll benefit from.

Also slipping/parrying punches its probably my biggest advantage in MMA not many can handle good counter punching.

5. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

A boxing and MT stance are very different. A boxing stance isn't going to be ideal when you have to worry about checking and/or throwing kicks. I wouldn't expect a MT instructor and a boxing instructor to be on the same page when it comes to a lot of things.

6. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

The MT instructional training is done by 3 different trainers. One of those trainers happens to be the boxing coach and he generally focuses on the boxing side of MT.

So far, for $30 for the hour I've learned and cleaned up my form a lot. I'd like to take more one-on-one time with him, however don't want it to hurt my MT leg striking after reading your post.

7. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

take lots of notes.