Started to play around with xcode on Apple's OS 10.3 :o

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VBGOD, Dec 11, 2004.

1. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Here's the real PC version of my main (best selling) Diabetes application.

[​IMG]

The following is a screen shot, albeit grossly incomplete, GUI on the Mac (OS 10.3).

[​IMG]
    Don't judge it yet.

OK... I need to start doing some basic things. Things like... displaying a system messagebox, and perhaps an application exit when a certain button is pressed. I have to admit, xcode gets destroyed by Visual Studio .NET - if you're going to compare the two.

2. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

development environment differences aside, some comments on the interface:

use an actual toolbar (NSToolbar) for your top row of buttons rather than the inset (this way users can customize it, hide it, etc as it works in every other app)

the white on pinstripes look doesn't work too well, in my opinion. maybe drop the white and just let the window pinstripes show through?

and very unrelated, while you're exploring cocoa, and since you're starting a relatively new project (on the mac at least), check out bindings...an interesting technology, IMO.

3. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Oh, the interface I posted (Mac), is almost completely wrong on so many levels. Don't judge it. :squint: I'm at the point where I'm like "wow, buttons", and "wow, what's this". It's different in many ways. Oh, here's something I'd love to know: Objective-C or Java? Objective-C looks strange. Java is, well Java. I like C#, and we all know C# (Especially J#) copies Java's syntax.

4. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

ok, I'm going to stick with Java in this case. It's more familiar to me.

5. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

objective-c, 100%
    heck, if you really wanted, you could go straight c/c++ (re-use a lot of your windows code i would imagine :dunno: ) for the most part with just a little obj-c glue here or there, but honestly, it's worth learning. get over the weirdness curve and you'll fall in love with it oddly enough

also, you're starting anew, stay away from java

and if you're looking for a good book to get you introduced to things quickly, hillegass' book is always a good one for getting started (and the oreilly ones are pretty crappy, so save your money). also, the apple provided cocoa listserve is a great resource (as well as the one the omnigroup hosts)

6. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

According to the HIG it should probably use the brushed metal interface since it interacts with a physical hardware device outside of the computer.

7. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I saw that option. :cool:

Listen guys, what I posted is scrap.

8. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

xcode is similar to Visual Studio .NET in the way you can choose your language. :cool:

I really like Java though.

9. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

This is what I'm talking about...

I just created two new classes. One in Objective-C and the other in Java. Both empty.

Objective-C
    Code:
    #import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

@interface MyUser : NSObject {

}

@end

Java
    Code:
    import com.apple.cocoa.foundation.*;
    import com.apple.cocoa.application.*;

public class ClassUser {

}

10. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

i'm not really sure i get what this should be showing...?

i think the only thing about obj-c that scares people is the brackets, but syntax is such a minor thing...i mean so you write [foo doThis:x] instead of foo.doThis(x)...in the end, it is conceptually still the same

11. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

:ugh: brushed metal...there's what we don't have enough of

12. dmora

dmora Guest

brushed metal = :love:

13. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

It looks cool though. :cool:

14. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

ok.. one more question about the brushed metal / hardware relationship...

Can I have the main menu look white / non-brushed metal, and have the device chooser window in brushed metal? How does this work? If my software interacts with a device, then is the whole thing supposed to be brushed metal?

By the way, I'm going to totally delete the current Mac project, and totally re-do this. I'm going in with the mentality of using my Windows app as the core design.

15. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

honestly, the mentality you're coming in with is what mac users hate. the fact of the matter is, you did this on windows first and as a second thought, you decided to port it to the mac. but by not making the effort to adapt the mac nuiances in terms of interface, etc, you are making sure they know that they were an afterthought. i'm not trying to nitpick, but rather, from experience, you're dealing with a crowd of users who will be picky about interface and this is a common mistake that you will not go over well.

as per the menu/metal thing, in theory, you use brushed metal for windows if your program interacts with hardware (but apple breaks this rule all the time, i.e. safari). menus are pinstriped, always. also, it's probably a good idea to keep all windows brushed metal or none (with the exception of "utility" kind of windows, i.e. a preferences pane)

16. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

You're right, and I see this too. Also, what works well on a Windows system, may not work well on a Mac. My Windows app looks beautiful, but let's be fair... there are A LOT of ugly windows applications out there. On the mac, most (if not all) applications look great. I'm being dead serious when I say my Diabetes app is like the hottest girl in NJ, but just moved to Los Angeles. Oh wait. :o Scratch that. In any case, I'm going to take my time with this Mac port. In fact, I won't ever talk about outside OT.

17. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

though these days I wouldn't trust Apple's human interface team any farther than I could throw them

brushed metal finder :madfawk: :rl: :rl: so fucking useless, but 1000000x more annoying is that I can't customize it without either losing functionality (i.e. single-window mode), or hacking the OS

apple's UI has really fallen off since OS X IMO, they do a lot of shiny things but they seem to have forgotten the "keep it simple, stupid" mantra that made OS 9 and its predecessors so fucking intuitive. /rant

18. dmora

dmora Guest

i dont know what all of you guays gripe against brushed metal is. I like it. :hsd:

19. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

it has none of the distinct visual cues of the old finder, or original OS X windows. if a brushed metal window is not in the foreground, its border doesn't change color at all... at best the text in the window's title bar is greyed out. almost unnoticible if you're trying to navigate through windows quickly. it also wastes more screen real estate than the original windows, and the most annoying thing is that apple can't decide when to use what, or moreover, let the user decide when to use what. they used to be all about user choice, and now they try to stifle it (like hiding useful UI APIs from everyone but apple employees, and then changing the function of existing ones so that skinners and other visual hack-makers have to redesign their app every time a new release comes out) :mad:

20. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

my biggest issue is just consistency throughout the whole apple experience (i.e. hide the toolbar in the Finder windows--holy wtf!)...pick a basic UI and stick with it everywhere, period. aqua or metal...but please not metal