MIL started language training today...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by willijdub, Feb 11, 2009.

1. willijdub

willijdub New Member

i get to look forward to 6 more months of Special Operations Language Training (SOLT). started yesterday. my target language= russian. i have zero experience with this language, but after today ive already learned the alphabet and a few phrases. :wiggle: my goal= pass the DLPT with a 2/2 so as to get paid. how realistic is this? i thinnk i stand a fair shot. (we were told only 15% of people get paid for russian coming out of SOLT) and mainly thats because its half the training time as the russian basic course at DLI.(47 weeks there as compared to our 24 weeks) but yea.... thats my update.
    any one else language qualified? speak a second language WELL?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I speak Korean well, didnt want to make it a qualified language as I would be accountable for having to use it. Caveat: I was thet Division protocol officer in Korea for 2ID (2006-2007)
    If anyone found out my depth of knowledge in Korean then I would have been stuck translating for the CG or Chief of Staff at the lame dinner parties and events I planned :o

I studied abroad in Korea back in 2003 and went to a langauge immersion course while there

Trying to pick up either Dari or Pashto now....or relearn Mandarin Chinese and actually get paid for that one :o

goodluck with SOLT

3. c.a

c.a New Member

oh DLI.... tell Bennett Compagno i said hi

4. willijdub

willijdub New Member

:cool:

5. willijdub

willijdub New Member

:uh: no im at bragg... thus SOLT. i hope to get to go to the full course at some point... ive been told that if you do well here, once you get to the 4th psyop group theyll send you to DLI. and if not use it as a bargaining chip for reenlistment.... whats your language?

6. c.a

c.a New Member

oooh ok, didn't read that far in to what you were saying. language is korean, i remember i had a i had a psyop guy in my class...

7. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

good luck with that. i studied when i had the afternoon class because I would go to the library prior to class. once we switched to the morning class I said fuck studying pretty much. Finished Korean with a 1+/1+.

8. kazimer

kazimer New Member

:rofl: lots of Korean linguists here

how many have actually used Korean for their job/daily duties? :noes: :o

9. Julius

Julius Guest

i would love to become fluent in russian

Хорошее везение!

10. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

Not in the military but I saw this thread & wanted to post since I studied Russian for about 1 year.

I remember my Russian professor telling me that Russian children often go to speech classes because the pronunciation doesn't come naturally. My suggestion would be to get comfortable making the sounds before you get hit with grammar. soft sounds in particular (some of these only a native speaker is going to be able to hear differences between soft/hard- they are not easy). the grammar isn't hard, but there is a lot of it.

удачи! (good luck)!

11. willijdub

willijdub New Member

thanks for the well wishing... i just finished day 2 and i feel like my head is gonna blow up.... :hs: but im getting it better than most the others in my class so i guess im doing well?(by comparison ne ways) lol.... once i get further along (a couple months) ill have to hit some of you russian speakers up for practice.

12. spook

spook OT Supporter

good luck

13. Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. OT Supporter

I had a Russian Language Identifier when I was in the Army. It is my native language and I remember that I scored 2/2 listening/reading on the first test and scored a 3/2 listening/reading on the second test. I got paid about $100 a month extra for my identifier. If I had scored 3/3 I would have gotten paid $200 a month. If a language is critical for your MOS then you may get paid $300 extra a month or more.

14. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

I kinda want to do this, take language training i mean, right now i'm on the fence between 45b, and something intel related for foreign languages. I know the training is probably difficult, but, do you think one is better than the other?

15. Cyan Connect

Well, all I know is that Arabic, Farsi, and any Afghan language will make you highly deployable. I don't know what Russian, Chinese, and Korean do to your military prospects, but I am sure if the Korean peninsula erupted into another war or if Georgia went hot again then Slavic and East Asian languages would also go into high demand.

16. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

Cool. i've got a knack for learning languages, but i'm concerned that i might wash out of basic for a non-combat mos. is basic any different for people with non-combat mos?

17. c.a

c.a New Member

not me

18. willijdub

willijdub New Member

non combat mos people go to bct(basic combat training... approx 9 weks, then go to your ait).... combat mos people go to osut(one station unit training. approx 15weeks. [its bct and ait combined]). you wont be with combat mos personnel if you have a non combat mos. i am a veteran of both.:o

19. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

whats bct like? is it like boot camp light? or even worse?

20. Cyan Connect

Well, it's changed a little since I went through. I did it at Ft. Jackson in winter of 2003. First two weeks we did drill and ceremony training. Third week was rifle marksmanship and Victory Tower. Fourth and fifth week was land navigation, gas chamber, etc. Sixth week was Confidence Course. Week seven was more drill and ceremony, along with Anzio. Week eight was Night Infiltration Course. Week nine was a 72 hour FTX with ruck march there and back. I think it was like ten or twelve miles each way. Then you graduate. After that, you go onto AIT.

21. willijdub

willijdub New Member

this. ....... plus little sleep, no time to eat food, and many many push ups