Started HIIT, few questions

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by 127.0.0.1, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I read all the information put up in the noob stickies here on the subject, but wanted some actual comments.

I am 6'1" 191lbs, because of work and school, a regular workout routine is nearly impossible to fit in. The HIIT exercises seemed the most reasonable thing for me to try given my schedule.

So I start out with the 8 week program, three times a week. Is there any harm in doing it more than three times a week? Since all I am doing is running, the amount of muscle damage must be minimal, so healing shouldnt take a long time (I guess? correct me if I am wrong). I just have a better chance of remembering something if I do it every day.
    Should I jog for a certain amount of time before doing the actual intervals? or just enough to get my heart rate in the right place?
    I havnt run in a while, but is it true that you should stretch before and after you run?

That's all I can think of now. i dont know my % body fat (which is what I am trying to get down more than anything)

2. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

I think it'd be more beneficial to lift weights 3 times a week and sort your diet out.

bodyweight in grams of protein a day
    fill in the rest with stuff
    cals 10xbw

3. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I am not trying to gain muscle mass (that would not be bad), but I would much rather get rid of some extra body fat. I am in reasonably good shape, and stay plenty active...but after about three years of not playing sports reguarly, the extra crap has come back.

so for reducing body fat, lifting weights does a better job than the HIIT programs?

4. grampositivecocci

diet will be the largest determinent...however, I think the weight lifting routine will preserve the most lbm and therefore help the most in body composition.

5. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

stretch before and after yes...

I wouldn't jog beforehand, well maybe one extra minute before starting, stretching and a short walk should do it...

lifting weights in conjunction with the cardio would be the most efficient as resistance training boosts the basal metabolic rate higher and for a longer period of time, not to mention promotes a state of anabolism rather than catabolism... in other words, you'll be able to burn more calories by having your body in this state from the weight training, just switch it up every day on which you do, and you can take the 7th off if you want

as stated before, diet will have the most effect on your body composition, you're not really gonna get much bigger if not eating in surplus

6. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

That sounds pretty good. But like I said, I am more concerned with losing fat that gaining muscle, or at least do one thing at a time. doctor says I would be good at 175lbs...

I know I sound like an idiot about this stuff...because I am. I really appreciate the information. My diet is something that will have to wait for another thread...not sure im ready to get into it as of right now.

7. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I do this once a week with 5 days of lifting and 1 rest/recovery day.

Jog 200m, Walk 100m
    Sprint 100m, Walk 200m
    Sprint 200m, Walk 200m
    Sprint 400m, Walk 200m

For fat loss with no lifting you could do it 2-3x a week with 1600m of jogging/walking in between for recovery.

8. grampositivecocci

running will just put you in more of a energy deficit, meaning more weightloss

lifting weights will also consume energy, but also help in your body preserving what muscle mass you currently have.

9. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

so running can make me lose muscle mass also?

10. grampositivecocci

being in a caloric deficit can (dieting/losing weight), whether or not running can make you lose muscle mass is a different question that I'm not certain on. It certainly won't preserve it.

11. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I just said that you won't gain much muscle unless you're eating enough :p Strength training does not necessarily mean getting huge, I mean you're not gonna wake up one night and be like holyshitfucki'veturnedintothehulkovernight, so why be scared about it?

12. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

oh and good at 175 assumes low lean body mass.... all it takes into accountability is bodyfat with a base body...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.