Started building my first engine

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Corz, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

Started building my first engine *PICS*

First off, it's no monster build; just a stock 350 with a cam/head work.

I had always had this fear of assembling engines, dont know why, just one of those things where I thought i should leave it to the professionals.

the past few nights I put my balls to good use and gave it a try on my numbers matching corvette engine :ugh:. After two nights of 90 degree temps and unbareable humidity I got the rotating assembly in and feeling quite confident of my progress so far. Tonight I'm tossing in the cam and putting the heads on. I will have pictures tonight, but it's just a stock 350 so Im sure you've all seen it :o

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm confused; why are you building an engine that you can order in a wood crate, without doing any custom mods to it at all? Isn't the whole point of building the engine so you can tweak it?

That said, congrats in advance if it actually runs when you're done. Building an engine from scratch is not something I've done before.

3. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

I would imagine that it would be better to build a basic motor as your first project instad of spending a lot of money on hi-po parts and screwing them up.

4. E-dub

E-dub New Member

What year/model Corvette?

5. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

69 coupe

6. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

that and having 1100 in parts and machine work is a lot easier on the wallet if something fucks up instead of having 7500 in the same said shit.

7. deusexaethera

It stands to reason, but I think I'd at least put in forged rods and cryo-treated crank and rod bearings, since they're going to fit exactly the same as the stock parts while also providing an added measure of bulletproofness.

Actually, it would be kind of nice to take a brand-new engine, never been run, and get the whole thing cryo-treated at once (minus hoses and belts) -- the damn thing would never wear out.

8. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

finally got some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

will ask my buddies to send me more shots of the bottom end. Sucks when my cam shattered

9. Because if it's a numbers matching engine in a 69 corvette, it adds to the desirability and value of the car.

10. BaronVonBullshit

BaronVonBullshit New Member

god i love 350s

11. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

A first build on a #'s matching 'vette motor takes some balls, but it looks like you have the right tools and mechanical knowledge to do this right. More pics of the cars if you have some :)

And I'd invest in a click-type torque wrench later on if you plan on doing more of this, or building up a motor where tolerances get tighter. I have one of those bendy-bar types and it's a good 10-15% off from my calibrated Snap-On, it's been demoted to lug-nut and non-critical use nowadays, but have never had any problems from things I torqued with it before.

12. deusexaethera

Eh...I guess. I suppose some people would like that "authenticity", but I'd rather have the newer tech. I don't remember if '69 was a C2 or a C3 year, but if it's a C3, that would be really nice to have a new LS7 in.

EDIT: You need to file down the exhaust manifold gasket area. Even that little coat of paint can make the gasket leak, and you don't want to have your new engine start etching itself with 1000-degree exhaust gases.

13. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

there's an understatement :o It took me a good 4 days to do the bottom end because I was extremely fucking scared :noes:

I have never had a problem with the old school tq wrench either. I'd love to get a new one from snap on but for the amount of times I use these things, I dont think I'll need one.

As for an LSx engine, I love em, but they dont really belong in a vette that era when you have all the original shit kickin around. If someone offers me the right amount of coin for this one, I'll buy one thats not original and go nuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these go on next
    [​IMG]

14. BaronVonBullshit

BaronVonBullshit New Member

woah thats the first flame job that didnt make me want to :barf:

15. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

probably because no one can see it when I'm driving :mamoru:

16. It's a C3. As to the LS7, that would be sweet, but there's really no point in doing that unless you're gonna upgrade the suspension, brakes, transmission, etc... Then you're getting into professional level fabrication and huge sums of money. Some people just like to keep it original and enjoy it for what it is.

17. deusexaethera

If there are Brembo and STOP-TECH big brake kits for my Passat, there HAVE to be BBKs for the C3. I'm sure there's at least a couple of halfway-decent suspension geometry + coilover kits for the car, too. It's just too popular.

As for keeping it original...well...you know my opinion, but it's not my car.

18. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

sorry but no. brembo is big into european and japanese cars. I dont think they even make anything for domestic cars, especially of this vintage.

and as for your opinion, you dont like what I'm doing to my car, dont post here

19. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

:naughtyd: got it runnin this past weekend.. sounds great

should have video this evening :noes:

20. E-dub

E-dub New Member

Brembo makes tons of stuff for domestics, almost all new SRT vehicles are Brembo, Y2k Cobra R's, etc. But for a C3 I doubt Brembo makes a specific kit; brakes are simple though and there is probably a kit out there that can be retrofitted. However, that is pointless as SSBC offers four different kits for your car (not sure if stock brackets are used or if you have to have custom caliper brackets fabricated...and looks like you have to find your own rotors, I am sure these questions are answered on a C3 forum somewhere):

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...9+4294925082+115+4294822015&Ntk=KeywordSearch

Either way, good looking car, best of luck with it :bigthumb: