WEB Started a new site

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Allanlambo, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Allanlambo

Allanlambo New Member

Looking to get new members and figure out how to get the word out about it. The name of the site is www.theshittalker.com . Also, how do you exchange banners, link ads etc. Im new to the internet stuff and this is just a pet project of mine for now. Any help greatly appreciated, aswell as feedback.

2. symptic

symptic I run companies

I'll be glad to help once I get back from the bank.

Is this the Allanlambo from LP?

3. Allanlambo

Allanlambo New Member

yes! Thats me!

4. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

TBH I think there are too many forums for a new site mate, try cutting down, making the site look busy will be difficult with so many. :)

5. symptic

symptic I run companies

I'm back.

So you're looking to grow a community around your forum based on shooting the shit, talking shit, etc.? How about monetization, is that a priority?

6. Allanlambo

Allanlambo New Member

Yes. As for monetization, of course, isnt it always? :naughty:

But for now, id like to grow it, and make it busy, and inviting. Looking for a younger, hipper sort of crowd. Ones not easily offended.

7. symptic

symptic I run companies

This thread should give some inspiration and insights as to what it takes to develop a forum. The entire premise of building a popular forum (not necessarily profitable) is to make sure each user associates a high level of value with the site. Only then will they return.

Be sure to check out DigitalPoint and SitePoint frequently to keep up to date on the general methods to promotion and advertising. Personally these sites get redundant after a short while and at that stage it becomes a matter of performing the tasks and ideas you've read about. Don't get caught up with the large number of amateurs and their philosophies. They're amateurs for a reason.

From what I can see, the single most important thing you can do to immediately enhance the value of your site is to reduce the total sections on the site. Reduce it to 2-3 until there are constantly threads popping up and comments being made. The single most important thing for a new community like yours is to attract users that will stay. Don't punish those with character , rather embrace the drama they stir up. Drama fuels posting on forums. OT and LP are both good examples, and I have a hunch since your site is designed for extremely tolerable people (or at least who won't leave due to rudeness) excessively dramatic people will drive the post count crazy.

When you have a decent amount of users (how many is up to you) you can look into placing ads on the site. Advertising on forums tends to not be very rewarding in terms of conversion rates. This is a good example of that, and also a good introduction to some of the methods used to provide ads on a forum. I've also read a little about DigitalPoint's Co-Op Ad Network where they supply ads to users' sites. This is worth a look because many ad networks do not support forums in their services.

Once the site becomes large enough, an ad system like SitePoint's seems to work great.

The best advice I can give is to constantly be testing new things. Not everything works in some success formula. Some people get lucky and provide the right site at the right time. Others have to keep improving theirs until they slowly build up to something great.

Hope I helped a little.

8. Allanlambo

Allanlambo New Member

Thank you very much!

9. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

Forums are difficult to make money off of, unless you get your members to shell out for memberships. Subscriptions can make you way more then any ads can most of the time...but symptic gives good advice take it wisely :)

10. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

Oh and if you can get people to pay sub's to get shit talked about them, :bowdown: to you

11. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

if you drive an SLR McLaren...why waste your time on such bullshit?

12. symptic

symptic I run companies

People with money like to challenge themselves too, you know.

13. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

by starting a forum? Thats so 1997. Why not start a social network? Same concept, and doesn't stink of amateurism.

14. symptic

symptic I run companies

Well, if Allan wants to start a social network, I have rights to one right up his alley. :o

15. ablaye

ablaye New Member

I would add to that the WebmasterGround Webmaster Forum that was very useful to me.

16. indhin

indhin New Member

Also TheAdminZone is a wonderful site, it is special for Forums admins and owners. It has excellent resources and tips

17. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

Won't be able to use adsense with that URL, btw.