Start up problems with Windows 98 *won't load windows*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Little Spunky $#!T, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

When I start it up, it goes into dos, like it normally would, and then it says Loading Boot File from floppy. Well that fails, then it trys cd-rom and that doesn't work. I'm downloading a 98 boot up disk from www.bootdisk.com and hoping that will work. Any thoughts? Only other solution I can think of if this doesn't work is a reformat :sad2:

2. MP

MP New Member

go into your bios and set HDD0 as the first boot device.

If it still doesn't boot it could be a corrupt system file so you could put in your legal windows 98cd and "repair" it. You'll probably have to reinstall most of your programs after this is done.

3. MP

MP New Member

BTW...what were you doing right before this happened? Be honest!!!

4. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

:werd:

5. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

You should be able to make a boot disk from any PC running Windows 95/98/Me that will get you into DOS and then reinstall Windows 98 using your CD. It sounds like there may be something wrong with your hard drive though... Hope you backed up your important files recently.

6. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Its not my computer, so I have no idea what they were doing before this happened.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2003
  7. fuzzynaval

fuzzynaval Enlighten me

first off...windows 98 does not have a repair option...you will just do a re-install and it'll repair everything. Keep in mind you will have to re-update windows with all updates. You won't lose your start menu's or programs as long as you don't do format.

Also if you get a valid bootdisk and it's just that it doesn't detect the command files...you can take that bootdisk and type

a:>sys c:

that'll replace the corrupted command file. But I recommend the reinstall