StarOffice 7.0 > M$ Office

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by knightm3, Dec 30, 2003.

1. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

I was gabbing with these two guys about some laptops at work today, normal stuff. I notice one of them has a Java hat on, so I ask him if he's a developer. Turns out they're both reps from Sun! We schmooze for a while longer and start talking software. We got on the subject of how expensive M$ software was [$299 for XP Pro, $490 for Office]. One of the guys, Tom, remarks how the new version of StarOffice is not only cheaper [$75], but FULLY compatible with the latest from Microsoft. He then proceeded to give me a free copy! I just installed it, and I'm impressed. It's as easy to use/intuitive as M$.

2. hehehe we had this conversation what, 2 hours ago? :p

when's the focus going up as your avatar?

3. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

last time i used star office was on 9.0 redhat and it was ok kind of cumbersom tho i thought although it was a somewhat older machine (1.2ghz) but hows that comparing now?? whenever i wanted to whip up a quick word document I always just used abiword :hs:

4. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

I use Star Office 6.1 on my Ultra 60, it's amazing how similar to MS Office it is.

One thing I didn't like is I couldn't bring in a regular text file into their spreadsheet program like I do with Excel and sort it.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

How's the file compatibility with MS-Office files? I stopped recommending people upgrade their MS Office when they started the activation crap half way through Office 2000's run. Word and Excel 97 or 2000 have more than enough features for 99% of people. Hundreds of dollars per machine every couple of years for incremental "improvements" is insane. But, since eveyone uses Office, you still have to be compatible if you ever want to share files.

6. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I usually reccomend OpenOffice to people. It's what I use.

7. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Using a dollar sign to represent the S in Microsoft or MS does not make you cool nor a "1337 hax0r". Just thought I'd make that clear...

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: OpenOffice 1.1 is awesome. Huge improvement over StarOffice 6.0 (only version I ever bought).

9. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

Full compatability with all of the current Office versions, incl. XP.

True. But is the implication any less correct? I used it to illustrate Microsoft's price gouging on their Office software. Unless you don't regard a difference of nearly $500 a big deal between two software packages that can do the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2003
  10. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

hahaha, Andy?

My avatar is my online memorial to the Prelude -- she'll stay there.
    :bigthumb:

11. ph1

ph1 Guest

Is Sun is good.

12. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Nobody is twisting your arm to actually pay for it...

13. yup, my current moniker ;)

and, nice, gotcha :cool:

14. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

Also true. But it IS nice to know that there is a much cheaper, legal equivalent out there that people can take advantage of. :)