Stargate SG-1 New Season

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Beason, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

After seeing the first episode of the new season I can say it wasnt a great season opener. The lose of RDA is huge and the new guy tries to hard to take his spot with his comments. The new girl is hot, but her sex comments may get a little old after awhile. New General have to give him time but not liking him either. First episode I give 5/10. What are your thoughts?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I liked it. It was slow, but it needed to be. They really needed to focus on the new guy to explain his backstory and get people used to him. Also having Amanda Tapping out (pregnancy) didn't help things. I'm sure it will start picking up around episode 2 or 3 when they start getting into the new arch about the new enemy that is "replacing" the goa'uld.

The chick I like, but only in small doses. Glad she is only a recurring character.

3. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

they better not turn Stargate into Farscape.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I don't think that is the intent. The MGM and Sci-Fi shows interchange actors all the time. I think MGM and/or Sci-Fi have them under contract. I don't think it will affect the writing for the show.

5. CallSecurityNow

CallSecurityNow OT Supporter

the new actors are growing on me

6. CrimsonVonDoom

CrimsonVonDoom There Cannot be Two Skies OT Supporter

Ben Browder and Claudia Black are from Farscape. They're good sci-fi actors. SG-1 should have ended 4 seasons ago, and farscape should have had 4 more.

7. seven

seven New Member

without macgyver the show is dead to me. i gave up on sg1 a while ago anyways though

8. CrimsonVonDoom

:werd:

9. oh noes

oh noes New Member

thats what i thought at first and also that the show should've ended a few seasons back. But this new cast is starting to grow on me and the new storyline w/ the Ori is starting to catch my interest. I say give it some time.

10. Apothis

Apothis New Member

The show has definitely had its ups and downs, but I think they're still doing well ..surprisingly so even. RDA or not, I like the new (and perhaps inevitable) direction it's going. They can probably spin yet a few more seasons just out of this new stuff.

11. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

I think this should be the last season. I really liked last season and it gave closure to the show but now its a whole new can of worms and it took 3 episodes just to give a basic plot. Atlantis should pick it up now.

12. CrimsonVonDoom

Atlantis should have never been born.

13. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Atlantis is a good show for a spinoff.

14. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Atlantis is decent, but I still think it pales vs sg-1. It's good as far as spin-offs go though.

I wasn't crazy about how they wrapped up season 8. It felt "rushed". Defeat BOTH the replicators and Anubis in the same episode? I mean ..come on. But I guess they just wanted to get it over with so they could move on to new and more interesting things (like what they had in mind for season 9).

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Well, Atlantis suffers from what every spin-off suffers from: being compared to the parent program. It takes 2-3 seasons for a spin-off to really get its feet and set itself as it's own show, and not (in this case) SG-1 lite.

I think the season 8 ending was written before they knew for sure they were going to be renewed. I guess they wanted to make sure it wrapped things up, just in case. It is nice since it lets them freshen the show up. I mean, 9 seasons is a helluva run for a Sci-Fi show.

16. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

Stargate has jumped the shark. Last season I enjoyed Atlantis more than SG1, but now they both seem to suck- what's with the crazy looking dreadlock guy joining Atlantis. Hey, here's a non white guy who tried to kill part of the team- let's recruit him- it worked with Teal'c. :ugh:

17. CrimsonVonDoom

the next step is to add either:

1. a robot
    2. a non-humanoid alien
    3. an effeminate cat
    4. a tank
    5. cousin olliver

to the cast in order to boost ratings. Atlantis may be a decent spinoff, but that just makes it's the top of a big pile of crap.

18. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

I missed a big chunk of season 8 including the ending, so you can imagine my dismay when I see Jack(yes I know it's RDA's char name) and Sam(see last()) not there. Im surprised Jack didnt take Teal'c with him, where did he go anyways ? sigh I need reruns of the last half of season 8.

19. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Jack got promoted and is in DC now. RDA decided to cut his time on the show to spend more time with his daughter.

Sam will be back this week. Amanda Tapping was pregnant and so she was out for the taping of the first few shows while having the baby.

20. marauder

marauder New Member

:rofl:

21. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Thx for the recap. Im gonna try to give this new season a chance but im not hoping for much tho honestly, unless we get some new powers or some off tje wall crap.

22. CrimsonVonDoom

yeah, that's just what stargate needs: more powers. why don't they just make daniel jackson fly and let teal'c fire laser beams from his eyes as zod intended.

23. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Now you're getting it. It'd at least be entertaining since ive given up hope on the "storyline".

24. CrimsonVonDoom

"well, sci-fi, we thought we'd see how far we could take it before the viewers realized we ran out of ideas..."
    "you... hm... alright, what do you have planned?"
    "super powers."
    "super powers... well, alright, but we want Dean Cain and Lou Diamond Phillips to be in it."
    "obviously."
    "done."

25. backslide

backslide This space for rent. Inquire inside.

Louis Gossett Jr. It seem like he was trying to pull a Shatner but failing miserably.

He was awesome in "Iron Eagle" though. :o

I don't particularly like the story or the new "enemy" - the Orii, but I'm watching because ... well, I've watched since the beginning. Might as well watch to see how the rest of the season plays out.