star wars FAQ thread.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by lowfat, Apr 21, 2004.

1. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Since it seems that a lot of people like star wars more than star trek maybe some people can help me with a few questions about episode 2.

Is Palpenitine (sp?) already under the influence Sydius (sp?)?
    Did Count Dooku start the rebellion and what was the purpose? Isn't the republic the bad guys in episode 4? if so why are they trying to get more places to rebel? doesn't make sense to me @ all?

2. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto Flat Black Member

Palpatine IS Sidious.

The republic is perverted into the Empire sometime before episode 4. So no, the republic is not evil in A New Hope, it just doesn't exist.

3. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

As far as the rebellion, Dooku didn't start it. At this point (AFAIK), that part of the history is still unclear. I can only guess that those characters in Ep. 4 who are senior ranking officials in the Rebel Alliance had a hand in starting the rebellion, along with the Jedi who survived the Clone Wars and the slaughter at the hands of Darth Vader. These would include, most likely, Amidala, Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan, Mon Mothma (isn't she supposed to be in Episode 3?), Yoda, Kenobi, etc...

Hopefully, Episode 3 will answer a lot of these questions which, up until now, have pretty much been speculation.

4. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

Dooku is Sidious/Sen Palp's apprentice. He's helping the (soon to be Emperor) take over the republic and turn it into the Empire.

I want more info on the Jedi who purchased the clone army. Did he really do it and then die, or did Sidious/Dooku use his identity to purchase the army. (I can't remember if this was spelled out.)

I think it's really cool that Sidious is manipulating the Trade Federation (and all their allies) to create an army, to justify this Clone Army.

5. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

no palp is sidious and dooku is tyranus. the republic is wiped out as stated in a new hope and the empire becomes the ruling power under the direction of the emperor(palpatine).

6. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Palpatine/Sidious is covertly whipping up a rebellion to help him consolidate his power. Just like Hermann Göring said:
    And just like John Ashcroft proved with the Patriot act, when the people are scared, they're willing to hand over their rights and political power.

7. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

Joe_Cool has got it right (and i love the historical references, BTW).

Palpatine/Sidious had Dooku (his apprentice) get the Trade Federation to build an army. That way, Palpatine would have the justification to build his own army and appoint himself emperor (at which point, the Republic becomes an Empire). Palpatine then uses his clone army to wipe out the droid army, but not before all of the "good" Jedi have been wiped out (all but Obi Wan and Yoda). Once the droid army is gone and the jedi are gone, there is nobody to oppose Palpatine. He can take the throne as emperor of the galaxy and have Anakin (now turned to the dark side) as his new apprentice. So, the whole time the jedi are fighting the droid army and Count Dooku, they don't realize they're helping Palpatine rise to power. Once they figure that out it's far too late and they must simply go into hiding or be wiped out by Palpatine, Anakin, and the clone army (now simply called Stormtroopers).

It's a shame they screwed up Ep1/2 so badly, because it's actually a pretty well crafted story. I love how the "good guys" suddenly become the "bad guys".

NOTE: i haven't read all the Star Wars books and i'm not some uber-fanboy, but this is the gist of what happens as far as i can tell from watching all the movies, reading a synopsis of Ep3, and watching Clone Wars.

8. lowfat

hola. it makes a lot more sense now. still a few questions though, but ill ask later when i have more time.

9. Joe_Cool

Thanks. :)

Yeah, it was disturbing to realize that I was happy when the stormtroopers showed up to save everybody. In that scene we were cheering for the Empire, and against the Rebellion. It's realistic in that there is rarely a clear-cut good guy and bad guy - the line is often very blurred.

Link to synopsis? :eek3:

10. lowfat

A few more questions... if sidious is a dark jedi, who taught him the way of the force?

damn forgot the other one. i remember later.

11. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Sidious is a Sith, which I guess are practitioners of the Dark Side of the Force. I'm not really sure if being a Sith is the same as being a Dark Jedi, but I want to say they are two different things.

As I understand it, the Sith were the enemies of the Jedi a long long time ago. But they fought amongst each other also and eventually killed each other off... all but one. I believe he was Darth Bane (help please?). He restored the Sith but made it so that there would only ever be two Sith, a Master and an Apprentice. One can only assume that since Sidious is now the Master, he must have once been an Apprentice also, who would have taught him the ways of the dark side...

EDIT: Looking at my post, I just thought of something funny... Could you imagine if Donald Trump was the Master choosing his Apprentice?

** Darth Maul gets cut in half by Obi-Wan Kenobi. As he lays writhing on the ground, Darth Trump comes up to him and says, "You're fired!" ** :)

12. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

Dark Jedi Any Jedi who uses the Force for evil ends. Most Dark Jedi begin as naive and idealistic Jedi Knights, but they are always corrupted by their lust for power, the lure of forbidden knowledge, and their uncontrollable rage. Long before the Galactic Civil War, Jedi Knights were tainted and converted to evil by the ancient Sith Lords, a race of insidious Dark Jedi who sought to rule the galaxy. During Emperor Palpatine's reign, the despot transformed Anakin Skywalker into Darth Vader by promising the young Jedi complete control over the dark side of the Force.

13. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

Do any of the Star Wars novels deal with the actual Sith (from the past), not the recent crop of Dark Jedi calling themselves Sith?

14. Joe_Cool

I think teh Jedi Academy books do. It's been a while though, so I don't remember for sure.

15. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

Full History

Although history is unclear, the first jedi to tap into the dark side of the Force rose to power several thousand years before the Galactic Civil War. These early Dark Jedi tried to take control of the Old Republic, but were driven away by Jedi Knights and others. They wandered the unexplored regions of the galaxy until they discovered the humanoid Sith. The Dark Jedi promptly subjugated the Sith, and have forever after been known as "Lords of the Sith" as a result. While ruling the Sith, the Dark Jedi were themselves ruled by the most powerful member of their group, known as the Dark Lord of the Sith. Each Dark Lord held the position until his death, at which point the remaining Sith Lords competed for the title. Five thousand years before the Battle of Yavin, the hyperspace explorers Gav and Jori Daragon stumbled across the Sith Empire. They unwittingly led the Sith Lords back to the Old Republic, resulting in the devastating Hyperspace War. The Old Republic, bolstered by the Jedi Knights and the forces of Empress Teta, routed the Sith and pursued the villains across the galaxy. The enitire Sith Empire was crushed and most of the Sith Lords perished. A thousand years later, the Jedi Knight Exar Kun began exploring the dark side. He eventually succumbed and became a powerful Dark Jedi, heavily influenced by the spirits of former Dark Lords. Kun corrupted a large number of Jedi Knights in his attempt to rule the galaxy. Meanwhile, the spoiled aristocrats Aleema and Satal Keto formed the Krath, a cult devoted to the dark side. Empowered by artifacts provided by Freedon Nadd, the former ruler of Onderon who relied heavily on dark-side magic, the Krath managed to usurp control of the Empress Teta System. In the face of these threats, Ulic Qel-Droma, a young Jedi Knight, attempted to infiltrate the Krath and defeat the group from within. He failed and was lured to the dark side. He later joined forces with Exar Kun, and the pair launched the devastating Sith War. They were ultimately defeated by a contingent of Jedi Knights led by Nomi Sunrider. Qel-Droma was stripped of his connection to the Force, but redeemed himself when he led the Jedi to Kun, who was killed in the final battle. During the Clone Wars, evil Jedi again surfaced and threatened the Bpfassh system. Later, as Emperor Palpatine rose to power, he too began to tap into the dark side of the Force. Like others before him, he mastered several vile powers. He also converted a young Jedi named Anakin Skywalker to his cause. Anakin became Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith. At the Emperor's request, he hounded the remaining Jedi Knights, driving the sect toward extinction. After the Galactic Civil War, the reborn clone Emperor envisioned a new breed of Jedi Knights, trained in the dark side of the Force and loyal to him for the 1,000 years that he expected to reign. The Emperor was ultimately defeated, although he nearly succeeded in corrupting Luke Skywalker. About 19 years after the Battle of Endor, the Second Imperium attempted to train a new legion of Dark Jedi at the Shadow Academy. Their goal was to retake the galaxy and reestablish the Empire.

16. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

So Palpatine died at some point, but was brought back as a clone? :confused:

17. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

haven't you seen rotj? vader throws him down that power shaft. palpatine had clones made of him in an attempt to always be the ruling power. in the stories following the destruction of the second ds luke creates an academy for training new jedi and the clone emperor using his ability of coercion almost succeded in turning luke completely to the darkside.

18. Kydaimon

Kydaimon Guest

this thread has potential

I'm theorizing that Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas, who is mentioned in Episode 2 as secretly giving the go ahead for the creation of the droid army and disappeared right after, is really Sidious/Palpatine and he then changed his appearance and is using the Dark Side to mask himself from the Jedi

19. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

Yeah, I know about Palpatine dying when Vader threw him down the shaft. I had gotten the impression that Palpatine had died sometime before that, and a clone version of him took his place. Guees I read it wrong.

20. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

i don't think palpatine could mask himself that well as to be a well honored jedi who then dies. even if it were a clone. now maybe through manipulation palpatine could have shaped the events of the actual Sifo-Dyas to begin the clone army but i would be skeptical to say it was actual him posing that position.

21. Kydaimon

Kydaimon Guest

remember at the end of AOTC when Dooku tells Obi-Wan that a Sith was running the Senate, and Obi-Wan says the Jedi would know about it?

well we know a Sith IS running the Senate because it's Palpatine, he's already masked himself that far from the Jedi, if he had his identity changed with whatever Star Wars has for plastic surgery or something it's entirely plausible they wouldn't recognize him.

22. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

that's a good point. perhaps palpatine has a way of suppressing his force ability and that's how he has remained unfound as a force sensitive. this could open a-lot of speculation as to how the jedi order was torn apart so easily.

23. Kydaimon

Kydaimon Guest

exactly, I can't wait to see how it all ends up
    I hope they explain Sidious in his entirety, if the turned to the dark side purely for power or if vacationed on Yavin 4 and got possessed or what.

24. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

recently came across these pics of anakin after the fall in lava.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. lowfat

thanks galek_spoo , that summary helped a lot