Star Wars Episode IV

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DNMonty, Aug 24, 2003.

1. DNMonty

DNMonty New Member

OK, I'm a techie type and I feel like a complete idiot now. I finally decided to try to convert a VHS version of my Star Wars original trilogy to DVD. I captured it via my VCR through my Digital8 camcorder via firewire. Total for Episode IV was a 23GB file. I have Sonic DVDit PE and have tried getting it to convert to make the DVD. My stupid computer has been chewing on this file all damn day and now it looks like it wants to read from the file I would think it's creating (an MPG file). Could someone that has done this before offer a little guidance. I usually don't have a problem figuring this stuff out, but there are some many options and it takes forever for this to work for a while and fail then retry stuff. I gotta be doing it the hard way or something.

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I've done light duty video editing (mainly camcorder --> computer --> MPG). I know the AVI to MPG process can take a good chunk of time depending on the processor speed (about 1 minute of AVI video takes about 40 minutes to process to MPG on a 233Mhz box).

I might suggest taking about a minutes worth of video and go through the entire process with just that 1 minute of video. It will still take a chunk of time to process, but it will be done a lot sooner and you can look at the results and tweak as needed. Once you're happy with the results, then you can process the entire thing...

3. Byromaniac

Byromaniac GO JETS GO OT Supporter