Star Trek Online - Reveal trailer

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by Vistrix, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Vistrix

Vistrix So Say We All

http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=13035&size=med

Looks awesome :bowdown:

The game is coming out within the next 3 years.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=211149

2. Daria

Daria New Member

Wait, didn't they try to release Star Trek Online about a year ago, then they failed miserably and got canned?

3. Vistrix

Vistrix So Say We All

It never got to that stage. Perpetual Entertainment were developing it at the time but they went through liquidation. Cryptic Studios picked up the title, but they've nearly started from scratch because the game code wasnt released, they only had the game content (I assume this means the ideas/textures etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_Entertainment

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Not a good start to what could have otherwise been a cool game... most games that have their origins in this kind of chaos turn to shit.

The third person phaser fights in that video left me very unimpressed

5. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

doomed for failure

6. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

Cryptic will do well with it. CoH and CoV were very well developed games as far as technical aspects are concerned. They lacked heavily in the content department, but with an IP as vast and pre-developed as the Star Trek universe is, I think they will fair pretty well.

I can't wait to see how it turns out, I've been wanting another good space MMO ever since EA killed off Earth and Beyond. Between this and Jumpgate Evolution, the next few years look pretty interesting for space MMO's.

7. Chopper Dave

Chopper Dave Guest

Jumpgate :bowdown:

space mmo combat flight sim right?

8. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

From the videos and screens I've seen, I dont think it will be a flight sim but more of a 3rd person game similar to Earth and Beyond.

Only crappy SS i could get of EnB at work. Combat was relatively simple, just target and shoot your weapons, but it made for easy and enjoyable combat. Honestly, from everything that I have seen, it looks like a HUGE chunk of the game was stolen from Earth and Beyond. But that doesnt bother me one bit, it was a fantastic game and I welcome any clone.

[​IMG]

9. Chopper Dave

Chopper Dave Guest

I just remember reading this, that is why I am hoping it is like a massive combat flight sim

maybe not fps flight sim, but maybe third person. I just hope it is not like Eve where it is that turn based lame combat that is old and outdated and people just sit away from each other still blasting shit. A dumbed down player skill system that is easy to learn hard to master type of thing where time playing =! skill level, would be good.

10. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

I dont think it will be. At least I hope not. I am REALLY looking forward to it based upon what I am seeing now.

11. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

I really miss EnB now... Coming out of cloak and opening fire with 5 plasma lasers on some unsuspecting nobody was beautiful.