Staples Brand DVDs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KoopaTroopa, Jan 28, 2007.

1. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa OT Supporter

I have 150ish Staples brand DVD-Rs/+Rs and my burner won't read them. I have an HP dvd 740b & I know it can read/write -/+Rs. I updated the firmware, tried 3 different burning programs, & whatever...and still won't read the DVDs. It reads CD-Rs fine. I didn't try other brand DVDs since I don't have any...just wondering if anyone else has problems with Staples brand media.

CircuitCity has Nexxtech 100 DVD+Rs for $20. Anyone use those before??
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/NexxTech-DVD-Rs-EDVDPR8X100PK/sem/rpsm/oid/124107/catOid/-13012/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

CompUSA has TDK's DVD -R & +R 100pack for $22.99 each
    A couple weeks ago it was Memorex and last week it was Sony.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's because store-brand media is cheap shit. I've had fantastic luck with Verbatim discs -- never had a single one go bad, even when I left them in the car on a hot day. Memorex fails all the time for me, though.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've had good luck with all types of media whether dvd+-r/w or cd-r/w etc
    expensive or free, i haven't had major trouble ever. i usually just look for the best deal on dvd+rs

except for when my dvd burner was going. don't buy a lite-on, it failed after a year and a half. i replaced it with an nec burner and never made a coaster yet

ok, there is one exception - sony cd-rs have a tendancy to peel on the label side. i stopped using them a number of years because of this. i might have just had a bad batch

5. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa OT Supporter

Well, I emailed HP about it & they said my burner is "defective"...no shit it's defective. They took down the firmware/driver update for the HP DVD740 after I emailed them about my problem. I only burned 2 DVDs with it since I bought it about 8 months ago. They said to bring it in for service & pay to get it fixed. Screw that, I'm going to buy a Samsung Lightscribe off newegg for under $40 shipped. Never buying an HP product again.