MMA Staph Infections suck.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by onelove, Oct 29, 2006.

1. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

Took a whole 3 weeks of practicing to get a Staph infection. Guy I was rolling with had it on his leg and I unfortunately did not realize it until it was too late as everyone pointed it out to him in the locker room. Owned for sure.

Whats the best way to cure this and how can I prevent it in the future ? I'm already on 500mg of antibiotics for a bad cold I've had so not sure if that will help. Is it time to go the Dr. for treatment ?

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Never had staph before but if its like a fungus then antibacterials like lamisil should work... go see a doctor!

3. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Its not fungal its a bacterial infection. You need oral and/or topical antibiotics. Go see a doctor right away.

4. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

you'll feel like shit too. when i got it, i missed couple school days, body just felt like crap. i was just on an antibiotic.

fyi, dont pop your boils because itll spread.

5. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

You need a perscription to get rid of that. Take care of it quick staph can actually kill you.

6. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

You shouldn't be on antibiotics for a cold; colds are viral, and antibiotics don't do shit for viruses.

Lamisil is an anti-fungal, and won't do anything for Staph (bacterial). Go to a doctor.

7. Titus

Titus New Member

staph sucks man... if you got it go to the doc as soon as possible. that shit can kill you...

8. KRUSTYTHECLOWN

KRUSTYTHECLOWN OT Supporter

Dude Staph infections are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND WILL KILL YOU IF NOT TAKEN CARE OF RIGHT AWAY. :noes:

9. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

:noes:

Dude, this is really freaking me out.

I got a bug bite (?) on my wrist and I thought nothing of it but just today it started to pus a clear liquid and I've been applying Lotrimin AF to it like mad. And after googling pics on, I'm scared that it might turn into that, dude you guys are freakin me out.

10. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

yea if staph is untreated, the pus can actually infect your body and blood system if it reaches an organ or artery.

11. KRUSTYTHECLOWN

KRUSTYTHECLOWN OT Supporter

If it reaches your Blood system you're fucked.

12. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

Went to a friends mother today who is a doctor, when I called her and told her that I had some sort of staff and needed a recomendation for a good 24 hour non-emergency clinic she told me to come over right away so she could have a look. From what she said there are multiple strains of staph, one of which is very fatal (MRSA).

I started taking Clarithromycin /Biaxin (500mg) to fight an upper respiratory infection 2 days before training and from the looks of it, while not strong enough to kill Staph completely it has allowed my body to help prevent the Staph from spreading. I'm going to keep a close eye on it and if my conditions get any worse she advised me to go see my primary care physician for some stronger anti-biotics.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  13. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Definitely follow that advice...also be careful about washing your sheets/towels etc, take the necessary precautions to make sure it doesn't spread. I got a staph infection on my face late last year and it was fucking horrible, went through several courses of antibiotics before getting rid of it. The whole time I had a visible rash on my face. Read the post below, I was freaking out. You DO NOT want to go through that.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2254169

14. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

Been sleeping in a different bedroom and washing the towels and sheets daily to help prevent it. I'm off to Vegas on Tuesday so if it looks worse by Tuesday i'll hit up my doctor for some more meds. After doing some researching it looks like Biaxin is the prescribed treatment for some forms of Staph so I might have got lucky this time around. Right now I have 6-7 small "pimple" like spots around my arms and legs, from what my friends mother said as long as I don't see a big cluster of them spread quickly the antibiotics and my body should kill it. A few have shrunken down and no longer puss as well.

That being said whats a good start to protecting against further infections? My gym is normally pretty clean and Iam 99% sure I got this from direct body contact with an infect individual. Might have to start wearing a rash guard when I roll.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  15. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

Are you still dating that chick?

16. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

Of course. Models don't do well with staph so looks like I'll be in the dog house for a few days :)

17. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

Is this why you are trying to bulk up or train that you can kick some ass if needed?

18. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

No, I've been watching MMA for years now and my 9-5 desk job doesn't help keep me in shape, so learning the sport seemed like fun.